Replacing a gas tank

Myles

Reaction score
I own a 1986 226 Seafarer - 190 I/O that runs perfect. Unfortunately it runs perfect on the day tank I currently have hooked up to the engine. When I switch over to the boat's tank the engine coughs itself out after about 300yrds......running up to speed. I have installed racor water separator, which has not helped. I'm selling the boat and would like to have this issue fixed correctly before selling it.

1. I understand it's not a big job to replace this tank from reading other forums. Where is the best place to get a replacement tank?
2. What can I expect to pay?

Thanks

Propwash

Reaction score
I have a '86 Sailfish with original tanks and am looking for replacements as well. Any recomendations? Thanks!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I once spent over a grand on a similar problem, and it turned out to be a $15 fuel line. Just about everything between the tank and water separator can be checked and/or replaced, so before replacing the entire tank, take a closer look: Is the fuel there-in old and/or contaminated? Is there an anti- siphon valve and is it free? Is the fuel line from the tank (including the bulb) clear and in good condition? :wink:

midnight-rider

Reaction score
I had a simular problem.

Mine ran 500 yards. I was told that the gas went bad. I had to have the tanks, fuel line cleans and parts on the motor ( fuel pumps ) replaced Ethanol ate up gaskets )Cost was $1,100. They had to remove the bad gas and that had a fee........So your problem might be the same. Mine also ran well off a 6 gallon can of fresh fuel. I had just put 65 gollon of fresh fuel injune with sea foam stabilizer...good luck.

Workdog

Reaction score
The screen at the bottom of the pickup tube in the tank may also be clogged. Happened to me, with same symptoms as yours. To get to it you will need to disconnect the fuel line next to the anti-siphon valve. The pickup tube can then be unscrewed from the tank. I would remove the screen at the bottom of the tube (and let the RACORs do the filtering--they are easier to get to). While you have this apart, you should replace the anti-siphon valve.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No reason to replace the tank if not leaking.
The draw tube is removable on your tank, I believe so it can be inspected and cleaned. Add new hoses are not much more to do. Can do a new level sender too for about 75 bucks.

I'm obviously not in the tank replacement business.

And any old fuel in tank can be processed by vendor.