Replacing batteries on a 2009 228

fathergoose

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2009 228G with a very good electronics package. It includes VHF, Raymarine ES128 with 4KW radar and a 4' open array and a Fusion stereo. I had difficulty with the batteries at the end of last season so I am replacing them. I'm pretty sure that they are the original batteries. My question is should I replace them with larger capacity batteries? I bottom and drift fish a lot with the motor off and the fishfinder and stereo on. Due to the space available for the batteries I can not go to a physically larger battery.
Thanks and sorry for the excessive detail but I wanted to provide as information as possible.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd measure the size of what you have and match up. I think mine are group 27s.

seasick

Reaction score
If your batteries are really the originals and are just starting to show their age, I would suggest you find the exact same batteries for replacement. 10 years is forever for boat batteries!
I am currious what type they are.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
[QUOTE="
I am currious what type they are.[/QUOTE]

I want to know as well, I change mine every 5 years .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I drift fish also, I'll run out and fish all day with electronics running off one battery, if I need to, I'll switch to the other one to crank up. I have 2 group 24 cranking batteries with 1000 mca/800cca. They are Interstate brand 24M-XHD. I did manage to squeeze 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries into the port box to run my trolling motor. So I have a total of 4 batteries and a small set of jumper cables stored in the cuddy box for worst case.
20170831_150527.jpg20170831_150512.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
The battery install isn't up to ABYC regs: Batteries can not be under or over a fuel tank or fuel system component and terminals must be protected with rubber boots.
I am curious about the purpose of the black electrical tape on the fuel hose clamp.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The battery install isn't up to ABYC regs: Batteries can not be under or over a fuel tank or fuel system component and terminals must be protected with rubber boots.
I am curious about the purpose of the black electrical tape on the fuel hose clamp.

It is what it is, my boat. Electrical tape covers the sharp end of clamp to keep from cutting my hand as I reach in and behind batteries to turn the battery switch. No good way to cover terminals with said boots, never stay in place.