Replacing batteries

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Use your starting battery to travel. At destination, switch to other battery. When leaving, doesn't matter really which battery you start the engine. If it starts with the dual purpose one....all is good. Run on that battery back to home. Don't overthink this whole thing.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As far as the punch date for your battery, retailers used to punch out the purchase date, and warranty the battery from that day. I think most batteries now just have a date of manufacture, and either that, or the date on your receipt, is the beginning warranty date. If buying off the shelf, look for the battery with the most recent manufacture date.
In Seasick’s scenario above, if I ran out, anchored, and ran the battery down on battery number one, I would switch to number two for the crank, then switch back to number one to charge it on the ride home.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
As far as the punch date for your battery, retailers used to punch out the purchase date, and warranty the battery from that day. I think most batteries now just have a date of manufacture, and either that, or the date on your receipt, is the beginning warranty date. If buying off the shelf, look for the battery with the most recent manufacture date.
In Seasick’s scenario above, if I ran out, anchored, and ran the battery down on battery number one, I would switch to number two for the crank, then switch back to number one to charge it on the ride home.
I would switch to BOTH for a while to give the dead battery a little charge. On some motors, if the voltage is too low, weird things can happen. In addition, and I may be wrong here, I think that an alternator needs some battery juice to charge and if the 'dead' battery is too low, the alternator won't charge.
Correct me if I am wrong...

Reactions: PointedRose

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anything below 12 V is considered dead, or flat, and probably won’t start your engine. But, most likely will take a charge, unless you are Rip van Winkle, and ran it down into the low single digits.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As this is a topic for batteries we have a '04 228 - the two batteries are at stern on port side.

I read of this board that a 228 will list to the port side. Trust this is because of the battery location.

Our 228 does list to the left.

Not very well versed with the trim tabs and do not use them.

Any suggested solutions to this is appreciated.

thanks

Steve

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As this is a topic for batteries we have a '04 228 - the two batteries are at stern on port side.

I read of this board that a 228 will list to the port side. Trust this is because of the battery location.

thanks

Steve
Do you have a kicker motor as well? I have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer as well and both of my batteries are also on the port side, where I haven't really noticed any listing but water will come in from the scuppers when one or two people stand back there. To me, the possible battery/listing issue isn't really that much of a problem for my particular situation, but if you did want to remedy it, you could pull one and wire it on the starboard side? The way I look at it is that I weigh almost 300 lbs and do a good majority of my fishing/boat by myself or with one other person, so most of the time I'll be at the helm on the starboard side in the boat by myself. So... the extra weight of the batteries compared to my weight probably isn't as noticeable, but that's just me. If one had a kicker motor on the port side as well as two batteries then I could see where it might be an issue. Regardless, if it's that big of an annoyance for you, you could wire one on each side or even move the batteries forward and either mount them in the cabin or somewhere else further forward? I personally wish that boat manufacturers wouldn't put the batteries or lifeline of their boats in the lowest furthest rear part of the boat possible because if the boat were to take on water, the batteries would be one of the first things to crap out from water intrusion. You'd think they'd take out the pullout drawers underneath the helm seats, make them watertight and put them in there with a pullout drawer. That way they're elevated a somewhat, are in a watertight compartment and in the center of the boat to disperse some of the weight more evenly.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for the help. I will fiddle with the trim tabs to see if that changes the list.

You picked a great boat and I followed your trip from east to west. Ours came from NY to Ca and had it trailered by a mover in their pick-up.

Sturg.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

seasick

Reaction score

thanks

Steve
Does it list to port at rest or when at speed?
If at rest, the tabs are not going to correct that. If at speed the tabs will help a lot. Just don't over tab. Try a little left up bow switch, maybe hold for 2 or 3 seconds and see how hull reacts, The trin needed or not needed will change as speed changes.
Plat with motor trim also. Start with no trim tabs just to see how motor angle affects ride.
Adjust in small increments and give the boat time to stabilize.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seasick

Thanks for this information. Lists at speed.

This list does not change with tilt of the engine.

Will adjust tabs as you have relayed.

Heading out for fishing shortly.

Steve

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seasick

thanks for the tip. Was out earlier today and as the boat was moving I pressed the tab on the right side - and it evened out and no more list.

caught a few halibut but they were too small to keep.

Ive owned the 228 for about eight years and barely know how to operate it besides putting in gas and turning on the electronics.

these boats are wonderful but they are over engineered like a mercedes.

steve

seasick

Reaction score
If your engines are running at different RPM ( not sync'd) or they have different props, the hull can lean to one side at speed.
If a trim tab is extended too far, that can also cause the lean and the lean can be large and scary. Just make sure the tabs are both fully retracted as a starting point. You may have a binding trim tab.