Replacing Batteries

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
While I haven't had any trouble yet, I'm thinking of replacing the batteries in my 2004 Marlin, 450 hours. To spread out the cost a little, would it be ok/wise to replace two batteries on the same bank this year and the other two next year? The starboard battery switch is on 2 and the port on 1. I never use "both".

What do you think?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is not the end of the world, but understand you may have some issues. By not replacing all at the same time, especially if they are not the same size or type, the charger will charge one bank over another more so or as needed, and will possibly neglect the other bank from time to time. It realy depends on your charger. always stick with like style batteries, flooded, gel, or AGM, never ever mix them, I would not mix them even on different banks since your charger will have various settings for each type and cannot charge be setup to charge 2 types. Some chargers can handle AGM and flooded off the same setting, but they are more ideal for Flooded then AGM. Personally I would replace all of them at the same time, but if your budget does not allow that, replace a bank at a time and try to find the same batteries if possible and they suit your boating needs, or a very similar sized battery so they handle the loads similarly, although the older bank may need to charge longer or harder if they are showing any wear or neglect. Batteries aren;t cheap, I'm replacing mine in about 2 weeks, between Optima's and Dihard Platinum's, my boat only fits Group 24 or 34 size batteries, there isn;t room for 27's so I am limited. To have more battery capacity, AGM's or Gel's are usually the way to go, there are some bigger flooded batteries in that size range but they often have more issues and last shorter from my experience. The Optima's and Diehard's are $200 each, I will be replacing all 3 in about 2 weeks, just trying to decide which to go with. Leaning toward's the Diehard's but I would need a new charger since mine won't handle AGM's, but it is a junk Guest charger anyways and needs replacement so to me that is not a factor.

catch22

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you have a pair, (bank) of batts for one motor, and another pair for the second motor, (one of which acts as a house battery)?

If that's the case, and your only replacing 2 batteries, I would replace one battery on each bank. That way, each motor would have a new, (fresh) battery.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is highlty recommended to not mix batteries on a bank, you will surely over exert one since it is hard to have them with the same exact size, and over the years they do not hold charges as well, I would avoid changing one battery of a 2 battery bank at a time, your safer changing one bank at a time.
I understand the thought process, you think a new battery on each bank makes it safer since your guarenteed atleast 1 works and is new, but if the other one on that bank is not performing properly you are over exerting the new battery and it could lose battery life quickly and deminish it's life. One battery will end up acting more like a slave and the other a master and this will lead to more problems down the road and shorter battery life for sure, wasting money. This is not ideal.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
gradyfish22 said:
It is highlty recommended to not mix batteries on a bank, you will surely over exert one since it is hard to have them with the same exact size, and over the years they do not hold charges as well, I would avoid changing one battery of a 2 battery bank at a time, your safer changing one bank at a time.
I understand the thought process, you think a new battery on each bank makes it safer since your guarenteed atleast 1 works and is new, but if the other one on that bank is not performing properly you are over exerting the new battery and it could lose battery life quickly and deminish it's life. One battery will end up acting more like a slave and the other a master and this will lead to more problems down the road and shorter battery life for sure, wasting money. This is not ideal.

Concur 100%.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. One surprising thing I discovered in my research is that the original batteries in my 2004 Marlin are group 27 STARTING BATTERIES. I called Grady White Customer Relations and they comfirmed this. Said Grady and Deca worked with Yamaha in their development. Grady also said it was perfectly ok to replace both batteries on the same bank one year and the other bank next year. They suggested I start with bank 1 since it supplies juice to electronics, etc. I also found West Marine batteries are made by Deca and they have the exact model # Grady recommends, 27M6. They are about $30 cheaper per battery than local GW dealer and have same guarantee.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sure you want starting batteries for your electronics bank? Deep cycle would be a better choice, they have a decent CCA and can discharge for electronics better over long periods of time. We had starting batteries for one Season, Grady installed...a season later they nolonger took a charge because they were discharged so hard...oh and Grady recommended a battery with a CCA capacity smaller then what the engine requires. That battery is damn near fried, surprised it even started the engine towards the end of the season.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... yTypes.htm

read that tutorial, it is basic but helpful and goes over each type and what is best suited. As mentioned in this article, if what you had worked, stick with it, otherwise go to something better suited for your needs. Not everyone needs top of the line batteries.

You will see even west marine highyl advises against mixind batteries in a bank.

I persoanlly just bought 3 Diehard Platinum AGM batteries, they suit my needs best and are a top notch battery, they are identical to Odessey batteries which are what we use where I work, they have been flawless in 2 the 2 years we have used them. Used lifeline's before that, they were good but had less capacity, cost more and every once in a while they had a dud battery. If looking for an AGM battery, the Diehard is the way to go.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
First, I am not mixing old and new batteries on same bank. I will install two new batteries on bank 1 this year and two new ones on bank 2 next year.

Also, I don't draw down my batteries for extended periods of time. I'm either under power, on generator, or hooked up to shore power. Therefore, I have no use for deep cycles.

As I have enjoyed 5 full seasons of cruising New England waters, fishing the NE Canyons, the Race, Montauk Point, the Gulfstream off NC, etc,, with the original GW batteries I am repurchasing, I believe I am buying a top of the line battery. Spending more money than necessary doesn't mean better performance.

Good luck with your deep cycles. One thing the GW rep strongly cautioned me on was their use. The on board charger and the Yamaha alternators are not designed for the slow deep charge these batteries require.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How many individual batteries are on the boat?

I don't understand your use of the term bank.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
My Marlin has 4 batteries wired so that there are two BANKS. Each BANK is made up of two paired batteries that are wired in parallel. This means the positive terminals are wired together and the negative terminals are wired together. This forms a BANK of batteries. By sharing the current draw, it increases the total amount of 12 volt power available. Each BANK supports different applications. One bank serves as a crank battery for starboard engine and all 12 volt accessories. The other bank cranks the port engine and powers my bow thruster.

As everyone points out, you should never replace only one of the batteries in a bank. Always replace both batteries.