Replacing bilge pumps in a Tournament 225G

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
F3F1ECD7-23B4-4466-901C-B7BB557AA5A8.jpeg
I have a ‘98 Tournament 225G and I’d like to replace the bilge pumps as I have owned the boat 5 years and know they are at least that old.

They’re sitting in the belly of the bilge and with the aft seating/live well assembly, and them being directly under the live we’ll itself, I fear getting to them and installing new ones will be a real PITA.

Has anyone done this already and what did you do to get it done?

Thanks in advance, Koby
Has anyone done this already and what did you do to get it done?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You beat me to the post. The same thing is on my mind and I know going through the livewell is the answer, but I am not looking forward to working upside down to get it done.

Interested in the feedback....

Reactions: Koby

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 228 much later model but my old 228 was similar . I would think you will have one pump under the livewell and another forward of the helm on your boat . The forward one should be very easy it should have a plate there. The rear one is a pain but doable if you are or have some one very small or you have long arms. You have to remove the livewell to get to it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't try to get in from under the jump seats. Plan on removing the livewell. Once it's out you will have easy access to it.

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
What kind of pump is there? Can you just snap in a new motor, and reuse the existing base?

I should be able to do that, issue really is getting to it. Looks like I’ll have to pull the livewell, sounds like a pain in the ass.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Koby,
I've removed my livewell a bunch of times for various projects. It's not so bad....
Putting down a towel over the lip where the livewell was after you remove it helps save your stomach from scrapes and bruises as you have to hang over deep in the bilge to swap it out.
You remove the lid first, then there are screws holding down the box, after that there is a ss clamp on a hose you need to loosen up on the bottom of the livewell. Access that through the jump seat. Remove the hose from the livewell. Out comes the livewell.
Good for you looking out for safety.
Best, Lee

Last edited:

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Koby,
I've removed my livewell a bunch of times for various projects. It's not so bad....
Putting down a towel over the lip where the livewell was after you remove it helps save your stomach from scrapes and bruises as you have to hang over deep in the bilge to swap it out.
You remove the lid first, then there are screws holding down the box, after that there is a ss clamp on a hose you need to loosen up on the bottom of the livewell. Access that through the jump seat. Remove the hose from the livewell. Out comes the livewell.
Good for you looking out for safety.
Best, Lee

Thank you Lee for the walk through, doesn’t sound that bad. I bet it’s a long reach down to the bottom. Now, I wonder if there’s anything else I can/should do while I’m in there.....

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You are welcome Kobe,

There is one other thing you should do...BREATHE while you are contorted upside down. Seriously, all the blood rushes to the brain, and it's easy to get light headed fast.

I honestly was praying I wouldn't pass out in the summer heat when I did work in the bilge. Best not to do it with a hangover if you tip a few too many the night before ;)

Be mindful to take upright breaks during your removal and install.

You will have peace of mind once the new bilge pumps are in!

Last edited: