Replacing Bunks on trailer

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, that wood is dried out and cracked. If the crack is across the top side which it looks like, that doesn't affect the strength that much since the load is in compression and the crack doesn't diminish the load capacity.You could use some epoxy adhesive and deck screws to tighten up the crack . I wonder if the underside mounting bolts helped cause that crack.
If you change lumber, I would probably change all bunks and recover with new material.
I reread your original posts and see that you don't trailer a lot. You use the trailer for maintenance. If the bunks are solid ( pieces can't be easily peeled or broken off, I might e tempted to reuse the old wood with some repairs and new covering Sorry but I can't judge the condition of the bunks from photos

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Found local premium lumber supplier that can get 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 12 for my bunks. Offered Pine for $38 and Oak for $78. Considering how I use my trailer I went with one Pine board since the others look fine.. Yukon Lumber in Norfolk, VA is the Co. Very nice and helpful on the phone and can order most sizes (see website). Could not believe my luck to not have to use HD or Lowes to build something.

Reactions: kirk a

seasick

Reaction score
Seal the wood. Any deck stain will do and the more opaque it is the better. Make sure the ends are sealed well. You could us a clear sealer also, it just won't last as long as one with more pigment.
If you are going to drill holes for bolts, do so and then remove the bolts so that some stain can get into the through holes. Pine is not super rot resistant woods and sealing it will make a big difference.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have an EZLoader trailer and recently visited one of their service centers to pick up some parts and inquired about replacement bunks. The service person mentioned they can sell me replacement bunks for $180 per bunk but the person actually suggested I go to a good lumber yard and order douglas fir 3 by 4 and replace myself. This will be my winter project.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi Ted R

From my experience, start looking for wood early. It seems EZ Loader uses odd sized lumber which is not found at Big Box Stores unless you rip it. Also in my area lumber seem to fly out the door at these stores and limited sizes. I had a hard time locating the size. After thinking about my experience I am calling the lumber yard back this morning and replacing the other three bunks.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Saw this on another site. Good use of composite decking. Owner mentioned it is very easy to launch and retrieve as there is the slip factor with the composite. Like the idea!
attachment.php