Replacing cables on a 704 dual binnacle yamaha control unit

lime4x4

Reaction score
I need to replace the shift and throttle cable for my twin engine 1986 yamaha 150 outboards. How do u seperate the 2 halves to get at the cables?

seasick

Reaction score
I copied this from a site on the web: It should help

You will first need to remove the top cover, # XXXXX in diagram below. Once off there will be 4 screws securing the control to the dash, they may have nuts on the back side. Remove these and there should be enough slack in the cables to pull the control out of the dash. You may have to cut some tie straps under the dash holding wires to get the slack you need. You may also have to unplug some wires, such as the trim control switches.

The dual control is basically two single controls bolted together. There should be 3 phillips head machine screws holding both halves together. Once apart you can remove the black plastic covers from each side and you will see the cables and connection points, #15 & #22. The adapters on the ends of the control cables will be secured by a c-clip. Remove the clip and disconnect the cable.

2009-11-26_004414_YamahaDualBinnacle.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I need to do the same thing on my single 1993 200 Yamaha. Called Grady and they said 20 foot Yamaha cables. No part numbers. So, are the connections the same on all Yamaha cables from current back to 1993 and before?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I used teleflex cables and transfered the ends from my original cables to the new ones

seasick

Reaction score
If you get the correct cables, they will attach to the existing linkage. The end has a threaded 10-32 end. Note that Teleflex is now Seastar so look for Seastar Extreme control cables.
I have had a past experience where Grady when asked gave me the length for my cables but it was incorrect and I had to exchange them. It helps if you can find the actual current length that is often printed on the cable. The old printing seems to fade slower on the helm end as opposed to the motor end.