Replacing Duratrim on a '91 Grady

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
No need to get carried away. After the same debate about material replacement I just painted mine with gloss black spraypaint as a temporary fix. Three years later still looks great.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was really trying to find out if the PVC had to be painted or not. Assume it might already have UV inhibitors in it since it is for exterior use I think.
I used PVC boards for a spacer to lower my rocket launchers to underneath the hardtop. I think I used 3 layers and PVC glued them. Left them white. I noticed on the edges where I had to cut, they are not slick like the face of the boards. I sanded and tried to get them back to near slick, but PVC does not sand well. However, I was satisified with the edge finish. Just is like a dull white. Thought it might attract dirt, etc, but so far, several months and still looks great. Of course this is out of the sun being underneath the hard top.

Just don't want to do all this work and have a product that will not work, so any info folks have on this is great to know from real world experiences.

I guess one could paint like you mention, the existing duratrim. Some of the edges where it is laminated is worn off, so if painting, would think it can be either sanded down some or filled with some epoxy and then sanded smooth and painted, so this is another valid possibility.
It would be cool though to get the original duratrim and install to keep factory looks....as if doing a restoration like many folks do on cars! :mrgreen:

jpn

Reaction score
My Duratrim was faded. I recently built a wooden boat and used products manufactured by Interlux. I contacted Interlux and asked about painting the Duratrim. I explained my thoughts which were in accordance with their experience. I removed all the Duratrim and sanded it with an orbital sander and 100 grit sandpaper. I washed the surface down with Interlux Solvent 333 Brushing Liquid. I applied a coat of Interlux Pre-Kote and when dry, I sanded this with 180 grit sandpaper. After another washdown with solvent, I applied two coats of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane single part enamel. I applied each coat with a foam roller and tipped it out with a foam brush and sanded with 320 grit sandpaper between coats. I thinned the Pre-Kote and the Brightside with the solvent. All instructions are found on the product's labels. It looks as if it was sprayed on with no brush marks.