replacing fuel fill and vent lines on 88 sailfish

jeffm

Reaction score
I bought an 88 sailfish 25 hull and am restoring it. Had it soda blasted am getting it painted. The tanks, motors, controls, head, batteries, compass, electronics were all stripped out. The fuel fill and vent lines were cut off at the fiberglass on the starboard side so have to be removed and replaced. I saw that it helped to cut out a round hole for a plate on the gunwale inside the area where the fuel fills are to gain access to them and the lines . So I was wondering what you use to cut the hole in the fiberglass. I was thinking I would use a sabersaw after marking the circle where I wanted it would that do?

gradyguy2956

Reaction score
First thing, get the access door. That will detirmine what will be required to cut the hole. I used a 41/2" hole saw. It made a neat hole, and the install of the plate was alot easier. Use a 1/2" chuck electric drill. The fuel line went in, no problem. The vent line was the real problem.

seasick

Reaction score
jeffm said:
I bought an 88 sailfish 25 hull and am restoring it. Had it soda blasted am getting it painted. The tanks, motors, controls, head, batteries, compass, electronics were all stripped out. The fuel fill and vent lines were cut off at the fiberglass on the starboard side so have to be removed and replaced. I saw that it helped to cut out a round hole for a plate on the gunwale inside the area where the fuel fills are to gain access to them and the lines . So I was wondering what you use to cut the hole in the fiberglass. I was thinking I would use a sabersaw after marking the circle where I wanted it would that do?

I suspect your cutout will be larger than 4 inches. You can drill a pilot and use a saber saw. Buy a down-cut fine tooth blade. It will not chip out the top surface. A second option is a RotorZip type of tool. It may be more difficult to guide if you are not familiar with the tool. You need to cut in the opposite direction of the bit rotation. In bolt cases, wear long sleeves, gloves and a dust mask. You do not want to breathe or wear the dust. Having a helper use a vacuum next to the cutting bit helps a lot.
Make sure your new vent line does not have any low lying loops or sections. A high loop is desirable (higher than the vent fitting) if possible.

jeffm

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions will keep you posted on my progress

cgmiller

Reaction score
Jeff,

I went throuhg all that last June when I was replacing the lines on my 90 Gulfstream. I cut a round hole in the gunnel to get to the fuel fills and then sealed it with a 6" pie plate. I also had to cut a hole in the deck to get the new fuel fill line through the stringers. I was able to pull the vent hose with a string. I could not get the heavy fuel fill hose to turn and go through the tight holes. If you search, you should be able to find my post on the boat complete with pictures.