replacing fuel filler hoses on a 1988 sailfish

jjudge

Reaction score
i have to replace the fuel filler hoses on my 88 sailfish as they are leaking. has anyone tried this? on my first attempt, complete failure. the hoses would not budge. i have access to under deck behind the fuel tank compartment, but i cant see where the hose is hung up. any suggestions would be helpful.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you disconnect both ends?

Grady grday may be using nylon wire ties to hold them in place.

Did you take up the tank cover?

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Fuel fill hoses

Mine were siliconed in where they went thru the bulkheads. Once they were free, it wasn't bad other than had to cut an access hatch in the walkthru side to access grounding wires and clamps.

jjudge

Reaction score
the hoses are disconnected on both ends...in fact i have pulled botuh fuel tanks out. i picked away as much silicon as possible where the hoses pass through bulkheads....but still they wont budge. very frustrating.. i am at a point now where i am considering installing a new set of hoses in a different location. i didnt want to go that route... but i am at a bit of a dead end.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I replaced the hoses on my 88 sailfish, I found that the hose was zip tied under the non access portion of the deck. Impossible to get to without hole sawing a hole in the bulkhead under the deck, then making a long hook with a blade attached to cut the ties.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

greyg8r

Reaction score
jjudge, you are about to embark on one of the nastiest jobs there is!

I did the fuel hoses on my 89 Sailfish and they were a mutha!

I had to install three inspection ports to access the hoses. (I possibly could have gotten by with 2).

You will definitely need an access port on the gunwhale, just below the filler openings so you can disconnect the hose clamps at the top. Then, mine was bound up with foam at the 90 degree bend on the deck just behind the starboard fishbox. The hose just wouldn't come lose and was breaking apart. So, I installed a second inspection port here to get my hands in there to help it along. Then I installed a third inspection port just to the port of that one. Ugh.

If you want, I'll post some pics.

Amigo

Reaction score
Guys, I have an 88 Sailfish I/O. Are your boats OBs? I wonder if there is a difference in the filler and overflow hose?

This is a project I have scheduled for this summer along with replacing the plastic thru hulls.

jjudge

Reaction score
greyg8r,
i would love to see some pics. there is alrady an inspection port just below the filler fittings. i was thinking of installing one inside the fishbox to help pull it through. i imagine there is a zip tie in behind this area that i simply cannot see. i have taken the tanks out, so i do have access to the hoses located behind the stingers . this has not been a fun process...however i have taken on various projects with this boat which has helped to numb the pain!

as far as the I/O model goes....i really dont know if the hoses are located in the same area.

jjudge

Reaction score
Update

Well......i finally finished the filler hoses. What a horrible job. Clearly the boats werent designed to give access for future repair!!! All i can say is that anyone needing to do this job...it can be done but be prepared for a lot of work.

I had to cut a hole inside the starboard stoarage box directly below the filler cap. Here i cut the hoses. Once they are cut they pull out from below fairly easy. The hardest part is the upper section of hose. There are so many wires and cables running fore and aft around the filler hose that a. its impossible to see what you are doing b. you cant get your hand in to get a good grip. Also, the rear tank hose takes a few bends that adds friction.

I honestly think it would of been much easier to relocate the filler hoses further aft.

seabob4

Reaction score
Fuel Fill hose replacement

Guys,
I hate to say it, but it just goes to show you that even the best builders don't plan on future maintenance. I'm an engineer now, built boats for 15 years. ALWAYS plan for hose removal and replacement, fill, vent, and feed. I guess the engineers took some time off on this one.

seabob4

Reaction score
Fuel Fill hose replacement

Guys,
I hate to say it, but it just goes to show you that even the best builders don't plan on future maintenance. I'm an engineer now, built boats for 15 years. ALWAYS plan for hose removal and replacement, fill, vent, and feed. I guess the engineers took some time off on this one.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I would like to see some photos of what you did. I have an '86 sailfish in need of replacement.

Thanks,
Hans

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
At least with the Sailfish model, the Grady redesign to the Sportbridge in 1990 included fixing the design for ready access to the fuel lines at the fill ports.

Can't speak for te other models.

wilson

Reaction score
89 sailfish 252g tanks shot, hoses shot. bulkhead between the tanks.....you guessed it, shot. easy peasy lemon squeezy!!! sawzall the middle bulkhead, and it went bye-bye. cut the hoses flush and pushed them back in the holes and plugged the holes. used a little bit of foam at the fuel fills to take them out of service. called ACW, semi local weld fabricator in NJ. gave them the size of what i wanted and had a big thick epoxy coated tank with three pickups installed. much easier to drain at the end of season. one new fill hose out the back bulkhead and up to a deleted oil fill. WHY? you ask, because silly i'm going to burn almost all my fuel going offshore so why watch two tanks and have that octopus of fuel lines with the valves up under the gunnel to mess with, one big tank one fuel gauge, one fuel fill and no cutting my boat apart to bend new hose (like bending a 2x4) to the tanks. this works awesome for two seasons now, boat attitude during the day has no abrupt changes while fuel burns off. :D

UpGrady

Reaction score
My Sailfish is a bit rare in that it's an '86 with twin 470 I/O's, been on Lake O forever and am not worried about the tank... so would like to avoid pulling the tank if at all possible. From everything I'm seeing this is asking too much and might even be impossible just because I cannot see how I can even get the old tubes off the existing tank!

Can anyone advise if these are the tubes barely visible inside the bathroom strorage area under the helm seat?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
JJudge-- you didn't say where they were hung up, considering you already had both ends disconnected previously.

If one was stuck at a bulkhead at a bend, perhaps a simultaneous push at one end, pull from other end, was called for.

--------------

For the 86 with the I/O, how would you access the tank to replace it, if you had to ?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
It was a whole day project on my boat, we replaced all of the fuel lines from the fill to the engines while the tanks were out. Good luck!!