Replacing fuel lines

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There has been some discussion on fuel line replacement after so many years in use (age of yacht) with breakdown of the interior of the fuel line. My 2006 208 has now had 17 fun filled years on the planet so....I cut a section at the end of the line where it arrives and leaves the primary filter, no sign of deterioration compared to a piece of new fuel line. Still very pliable (bendable). The only issue was I needed to replace the primer bulb as it was very stiff, partially due having never having to prime the F200. TThought would be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
The fact that the line is still flexible is good. If you don't smell gas in the tank coffin or bilge and there are no visible leaks, the lines are probably OK and not a critical item (now).
I would pay extra attention to the line from the filter, and eventually primer bulb. Since much of that run is exposed in the motor well on the 208, it gets a lot of UV rays. The same goes for the line from the primer to the under the cowling filter. I find that the exposed lines and fittings age quicker.
The primer bulbs don't last as long as the lines usually do. I don't think that using them or not using them makes a lot of difference on getting stiff. I have found that the OEM bulbs are generally better made than other replacements. The Yamaha primer bulbs are expensive compared to alternatives but i learned that primers are not a good part to substitute non OEM parts.
I am sure you know that the hose size for the run from the tank all the way to the primer bulb is 3/8 in and the remaining run from the primer into the engine is 5/8 inch.
What may not be obvious is the actual routing of the fuel hose from the tank to the water separator. On my 208, I had to remove the lid over the water tank to get to the hose which was clamped to the stringer on the side of the water tank. In addition, the hose was caulked in the area where it went through the gas tank aft bulkhead,
If I remember correctly and that is getting harder each day, The total length of 3/8 inch hose needed to go from the tank to the primer was longer than I had estimated to to its routing.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Check your fill and vent hoses carefully. I just had to replace on my 2008 Gulfstream. The section just under the fill cap was the worst and just crumbled while the section under the inspection hatch where it goes into the tank was just fine. Was getting fuel smell upon filling but just then was my clue to start looking.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, Will check the fill and vent hose. Seasick, the line from the primer bulb runs from under the starboard lidded hatch into the splash well and from there to the F 200. I have all this rigging enclosed with rigging hose. Very little exposure anywhere on the run to UV. The rest of the fuel lines are all under cover. I have my primary fuel filter in the lidded and hinged fresh water hatch, so all under cover there. As always appreciate your input.