replacing gas tanks

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i am replacing my gas tanks on a 87 255 sailfish do you think this is a project that a boat owner can tackle or should it go to a pro any advise would help

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You definitely can do this on your own.

It is a messy job and you will get some battle scars though.

You can have a quality tank builder like Patriot Marine in New Jersey make you a new tank, and Grady White customer service will e mail you the diagram for the build based on your hull/year.

Did mine on my '87 Seafarer 2 years ago.

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You definitely can do this on your own.

It is a messy job and you will get some battle scars though.

You can have a quality tank builder like Patriot Marine in New Jersey make you a new tank, and Grady White customer service will e mail you the diagram for the build based on your hull/year.

Did mine on my '87 Seafarer 2 years ago.
thank you for that info and confirming Patriot, that's who i ordered them through they seem to know what they are doing they didn't even need the old tanks

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any questions come up about changing out the tanks just holler!

Many members on here have done the same project.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just did mine last week Paul from Patriot is the man!
Yes he seems very knowledgeable and has done what he has said so far, that all you can ask of a business About how long did it take you start to finish just i know about how much time to set a side THX

Chuck_NJ

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes he seems very knowledgeable and has done what he has said so far, that all you can ask of a business About how long did it take you start to finish just i know about how much time to set a side THX
The removal required cutting the hole open about a 1/2 inch I used a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The hard part is replacing the fuel fill and vent lines. There are plenty of great threads on this here. It’s a weekend project start to finish if you have tank. I probably could do in a day if push came to shove. BTW where in NJ are you from?

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's definitely a owner project for sure. No need to pay someone to do it. Let's you get to know your boat better. I replaced both main and auxiliary tanks in my '04 228. Replace the hoses also while there. You'll be ahead in the end.

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The removal required cutting the hole open about a 1/2 inch I used a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The hard part is replacing the fuel fill and vent lines. There are plenty of great threads on this here. It’s a weekend project start to finish if you have tank. I probably could do in a day if push came to shove. BTW where in NJ are you from?
I'm in cape may and thanks for the info im gaining confidence listening to you guys

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
I did mine last year. 86 sailfish. SP Sheetmetal in Dennisville made my tank. I am in west wildwood. Contact me if you need anything.Drew Ryan

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had SP Sheetmetal do a tank for my Mako a few years ago. They were in Barnegat at that time but have since moved to Dennisville. Great people to work with and an outstanding product. I’ll have them do my tank for my 226 when I replace it next spring. I had originally planned to do it this year but a collapsed sewer line a few months ago took financial precedent.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had SP Sheetmetal do a tank for my Mako a few years ago. They were in Barnegat at that time but have since moved to Dennisville. Great people to work with and an outstanding product. I’ll have them do my tank for my 226 when I replace it next spring. I had originally planned to do it this year but a collapsed sewer line a few months ago took financial precedent.
What year is your 226? What condition are the tanks in? I thought mine looked to be in good condition, especially being 20 yes old but now I am wondering

seasick

Reaction score
i am replacing my gas tanks on a 87 255 sailfish do you think this is a project that a boat owner can tackle or should it go to a pro any advise would help
I wouldn't consider this a typical DIY job. Some factors can make a somewhat hard job a really big and expensive job. Two things in particular; A deck that has to be cut out ( no caulked in panel) or the discovery of structural issues like rotten bulkheads, stringers or deck panels.
Your hull is 34 years old and it is pretty common to find some issues. So if you consider yourself handy, can afford the extra time it may take to do the job, go for it.

seasick

Reaction score
Is the deck just screwed in like all the other Grady White boats? I have the same model and replaced fuel tanks. No cutting of decks at all.
FYI, the deck on my 2001 208 has no panel to remove. If you want to replace the tank, you have to cut the deck. I am not sure what years have a panel and I wonder why mine doesn't. My tank is poly and perhaps the engineers figured that it would never have to be replaced:)

Reactions: trapper

Fishtales

Reaction score
Take pics and document your work! Good luck.