replacing gas tanks

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't consider this a typical DIY job. Some factors can make a somewhat hard job a really big and expensive job. Two things in particular; A deck that has to be cut out ( no caulked in panel) or the discovery of structural issues like rotten bulkheads, stringers or deck panels.
Your hull is 34 years old and it is pretty common to find some issues. So if you consider yourself handy, can afford the extra time it may take to do the job, go for it.
thanks for the other point of view still thinking it through

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
fyi, for guys further north on Rt 9 in Bayville is Atlantic Coastal Welding NJ | Custom Marine Fuel Tanks ...https://speedytanks.com
Made a 60 gl tank for my V20. Quality. Better than original. Thicker, more baffles, reinforced sending unit mount and pickup tube

My 265 got new tanks 6 months before I bought it. Very nice too. I'll have to look at the nameplate.
It has threaded fuel sending units, Not 5 screws & gasket. Whole thing is threaded and screws in with thread sealant.

seasick

Reaction score
I have used Atlantic Coastal Welding in NJ for skeg repairs. They did a very nice job. They do seem to do a lot of tank fabrication based on the pile of new tanks stacked in their lot:)

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What year is your 226? What condition are the tanks in? I thought mine looked to be in good condition, especially being 20 yes old but now I am wondering
My 226 is a ‘99. The tank looks to be in good condition viewed from the access panels but I wanted to be proactive on a 22year old tank. That was before a collapsed sewer line, which will get your attention way before any proactive boat work. So hopefully I can squeeze another year out of it.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
When you do remove the old tank (s) make sure it is as empty as possible and be very careful with fumes and the use of any electric hand tools that could spark upon start up and running. It’s best to use air driven tools for any cutting near fuel systems. I’ve done this process twice and it’s a dirty job with a lot of muscle involved. If you can get a fork lift and straps to pull the tank, that is a huge help. If your tank is over 100 gallons you will need help. A 25’ of that vintage may have twin 150 gallon tanks. They are big.

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
thanks again i may take you up on that
taking you up onyour offer i'm hollering how did you get the new fuel lines in i was thinking i can attach them together and fish them through just seems like it wont work with couple tight turns how did you get yours do thx

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
taking you up onyour offer i'm hollering how did you get the new fuel lines in i was thinking i can attach them together and fish them through just seems like it wont work with couple tight turns how did you get yours do thx
When I changed my lines I drilled 2 small holes in the ends of each line and wired them tightly together....end to end....with bailing wire. Then one pass of duct tape over the joint....sprayed some WD40 on the old lines. Worked for me.
Good luck!

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I changed my lines I drilled 2 small holes in the ends of each line and wired them tightly together....end to end....with bailing wire. Then one pass of duct tape over the joint....sprayed some WD40 on the old lines. Worked for me.
Good luck!
thanks for suggestion

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wish mine were as easy as Uncle Joe's to replace. It took me 1.5 days to wrangle the main one out, and had to make Sawzall cuts in the side of the coffin, and enlarge the 4" access hole to 6" to allow my hand room to maneuver.

Here is the saga for more blow by blow:

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
just took the front tank out, it went smoothly. Washed out and painted up no structural issues but I cut the hoses to get them off, my lack of patience got the better of me when I could not get them to budge from stems. that will cost me