Replacing Grady striping...

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I need to replace a section of the Grady striping on the hull due to extreme fading and degradation. I'm going to get the replacement tape from a Grady dealer. Does anyone know if this tape can be applied in the same manner as boat name graphics...using the wet application process with a soapy solution? or does it have to be done dry?

Finatic

Reaction score
I went through this process last spring and sprayed the area down with a soapy water mixture and then applied the stripes. I used a squege to make sure I got all the area pockets out. It was a pretty easy process, just make sure the area is clean of all the old adhesive before starting.

Workdog

Reaction score
Going around the bow flare with the wide stripe was a little bit of a challenge, but the rest was easy.

Timotheius

Reaction score
I am doing the same project right now. I used a heat gun to get the old striping off, but now there is the old adhesive still left on. Anyone know how I can get this off? I have tried about a dozen different products, but it seems the only thing that works is scraping with a putty knife.

richie rich

Reaction score
Timotheius, use IPA on a rag...its safe and should remove the adhesive residue.....other solvents will work but may attack the gel coat so be careful if you use something more aggresive and wash it down with soapy water to get rid of any solvent. Ethanol and Acetone will do the job but are aggresive so you have to be very careful when using....don't over do it.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Just as a follow up, I tried acetone and brake cleaner and everything else. The only thing that seemed to work for me was a product I got at Lowe's called "Goof Off." It came in a spray paint can....I assume it was a solvent very similar to brake cleaner. I would spay that on a green heavy duty scotch guard scratchy pad and buff the old adhesive until my fingers were sore. It took several hours of hard work but I now have it almost all off. It was a huge pain in the rear....it had me wishing I hadn't taken the old striping off. But, I do feel like this will look really nice once it is all done.

Also, paint stripper will ruin your gelcoat. Don't ask me how I know.

richie rich

Reaction score
Timotheius....very surprised to hear acetone didn't do the job...it's normally very good on dissolving cured acrylic and rubber based adhesive....does it say on the goof off can what's in it?

richie rich

Reaction score
Fastal, IPA is just Isopropal Alcohol....it works fairly well on dissolving certain adhesives and is safe to use on many surfaces...but you need a little elbow grease..I use it when removing the the adhesive from registration stickers .Acetone, and its sister solvent Methyl Ethyl Ketone or MEK is a really strong solvent and should take off dried adhesive easily, but if its spilled on the surface of your boat and not cleaned up, it can eat through the resin.......I'm surprised it was still difficult to remove the striping tape....maybe many years of sun aging added to the difficulty.

I checked the MSDS on that Goof Off stuff....the regular version has a blend of ethylene glycol Nbutyl ether, benzyl alcohol, tall oil and a couple of trace elements....not familiar with that mix of materials but I guess it did a good job on the old residue.

The pro blend is mostly Xylene with some Ethyl Benzene and traces of other stuff...Nasty stuff to use but the xylene factor works well. You don't want to leave that sitting on your finish either.

Renegade

Reaction score
Timotheius said:
Just as a follow up, I tried acetone and brake cleaner and everything else. The only thing that seemed to work for me was a product I got at Lowe's called "Goof Off." It came in a spray paint can....I assume it was a solvent very similar to brake cleaner. I would spay that on a green heavy duty scotch guard scratchy pad and buff the old adhesive until my fingers were sore. It took several hours of hard work but I now have it almost all off. It was a huge pain in the rear....it had me wishing I hadn't taken the old striping off. But, I do feel like this will look really nice once it is all done.

Also, paint stripper will ruin your gelcoat. Don't ask me how I know.

I dunno, different climate maybe. I had the same effect with goo off, scrubbed like hell and minimal result. I wet it good momentarily with acetone and it rubbed off very easily with minimal scrubbing.

Renegade

Reaction score
Finest Kind said:
nightfighter said:
I removed them altogether, and am happier with how the boat looks without the striping.

I'm thinking of doing the same...do you have any pics?

If it's very old the stripes will still be very visible, with or without the old glue residue. Oxidation and UV rays guarantee it. Only thing left in this case is alot of polishing compound and elbow grease. It's much easier to replace the stripes.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only IPA I heard of was India Pale Ale.

My stripes were a major pain to get off. Had to use a heat gun to get off the plastic but the glue wasn't as cooperative. Acetone did take off the glue but it was a lot of rubbing, and WEAR GLOVES.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
This morning I started to remove the stripe out .I never thought It is so easy to remove. I used the heat gun and a sharp scrapper. The heat gun made the job so much easier. Took me 1 1/2 hour to remove all the stripes on my 209 escape. Then I remove the remain ehisive(spell) with GOO GONE that I bought from Walmart. I appiled GOO Gone on the soft spun then put on the ahesive, let it sit for 5 minutes . I soak some goo gone on the scott bright the gentle rub back and fort. They come out very easy. Then wash the boat down. The boat now look bigger and has a clean look