replacing Guest 2722-B battery charger

phs115

Reaction score
My Guest 2722-B battery charger lost one side in my 2007 33" express. According to the dealer I need to replace it with a Guest 2633-A.
The 2633-A is 30 amp rated. One side is 10amps the other is 20 amps. My question is this the right unit and why does my old unit have 15amps per side?
How do I hook it up?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Funny you ask. Mine also just failed in my 06 Marlin. I gather our 2722 chargers are not thought of too highly in the boating world. I emailed Guest and Charles this morning looking for a recommendation, have not heard back yet. I'll post when I get a response from either one.

On a related subject I was very surprised how the batteries are factory wired, never really paid attention until I needed to I guess. From what I gathered last night in the dark, there are four batteries in my boat. Basically two banks of two batteries (all original Deka 27M6, that are due for replacement). I always assumed that all four batteries could be isolated or charged individualy if needed, I was wrong. Not really a problem for me, just never knew how Grady wired it. Is your 33 Express wired the same way?

phs115

Reaction score
yes mine are wired the same way. 4 batteries in two sets. My charger was charging the starting side but the other side went dead. I am assuming these
where the house batteries because nothing worked..ie the raising of the electronices panel. According to my grady dealer the unit needed to be
replaced and suggest a Guest 2633-A unit.
When I removed the 2722-B unit it has two leads that charge at 15 amps each the new unit has two leads but they are 10 and 20 amps.
I am really confused now on how to hook them up.
Any suggestions??

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is the response I received from Guest:
The 2722-b is still available but would be a special order from one of our distributors. Our chargers might be a little small for this group of batteries
You should have 10 amps per battery. My suggestion would be rather 2 of the 2620a use one per set of batteries. If you plan on going to larger batteries in the future I would contact Mastervolt at 443-459-5370

Still not sure what I'm going to do, still waiting to hear back from Charles and doing a little more research on my own.

As far as the unit your dealer recommended, I agree it would not be ideal. I would think you want two equal outputs, such as two 15A outputs or two 20A outputs. I gather most of the 'larger' chargers are for up to three banks, but you can only use two sucessfully.

phs115

Reaction score
I just got an email from the Guest tech. He said you hook the 10amp up to the starting batteries and the 20 amp to the house.
According to my Grady white dealer this is what their going with now. You may want to contact Grady directly and see what
they say. This is getting interesting. I had to do something right away since mine went out but at least you have some time.
Keep me posted.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
What did you end up buying as your onboard charger? My 2722B went out on my 2007 Sailfish, 3 batteries (two tied together), and I need to replace it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you already have 3 batteries, why not install a BEP cluster and have 3 separate banks (1 for each motor and 1 for the house). Then get a 3 bank charger with distributed output (up to full charge to any bank).

ahill

Reaction score
When my Guest died I bought a Genius 4 (4 Bank) from batterystuff.com.
Sales reps are knowledgable & the price is right.
Best charger I've ever owned.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
wdlfbio said:
What did you end up buying as your onboard charger? My 2722B went out on my 2007 Sailfish, 3 batteries (two tied together), and I need to replace it.

I ended up going with ProMariner Protournament 3602 bank waterproof charger. Good fit and works great so far!

cnowery13

Reaction score
Gentlemen - have a question for you. When you guys talk about an onboard charger, does that act as both a plug in charger and a bank charger as well?

I am not very familiar with this set up but I have a 273 Chase and recently ended up at the boat ramp with dead batteries. Mine has 2 batteries in it. I was thinking about buying a portable power bank that you can use to jump start it. However, I am wondering if I hook up an on board charger, does that unit charge the batteries even when it is not connected to the electrical outlet at the house?

Thanks for the help.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The battery charger is hard wired to the boat and each battery bank and is operated when on shore power or when I’m running the generator- which I’m always doing when offshore. I always charge the batteries when at the dock. The good chargers will charge slowly and turn off or switch to trickle charge when batteries are charged. I would definitely keep a trickle charger on them when boat is sitting or prior to using the boat. Does your boat have shore power?

In the winter when the boat is on the hard, I will run the charger every few weeks as I cannot leave it hooked up when not there.