Replacing Hydraulic Helm in 2002 330 Express

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My helm had a lot of play and was real ratchety feeling so I replaced it before it died on me on a trip. I found a great post on removing the tub under the electric electronics pod. Pretty easy. I used a rope tied to the forward hardtop legs to hold the pod up after I pulled the pin on top of the electric actuator. I also put an adjustable mop handle in as a safety measure while I got th3 rope tight. 8 screws hold the tub in. I had to unplug my Furuno machines and drop the cables thru the hole.
Getting the old unit out was easy. Putting the new helm was also easy. Make sure you get a 2.4 helm. That’s how many cubic inches of fluid they pump in one revolution. Grady is the only builder I know that uses dual rams on the twin engines. Excellent over kill typical of Grady. The 2.4 is the highest volume helm and it still takes 7 full turns stop to stop.
One important item you will need for an older Grady is the SeaStar Part # HF6012. These are 3 stainless adapters that will allow you to attach your original Grady hydraulic fitting clusters to the new helm. SeaStar changed from 1/4” NPT threads in the back of the helm to some 1/4” straight thread that you won’t find anywhere else. You can see the stainless fitting between the brass block fitting and my new helm. I have an auto pilot, so I have the yellow handle isolator valves Incase the auto pilot takes a dump and I need to get back to the dock. There’s a hole in the tub to reach thru and shut these.
Also remember the red marked port hoses go to the hole in the back of the helm on the starboard side and visa versa for the green marked starboard hoses going to the hole on the port side? You can see that in my pictures.

PS: You won’t need the fitting kit if you don’t have an autopilot. The new helm comes with the fittings to attach a single hose to each port on the back of the helm. Be sure to use thread sealant on the old NPT thread fittings, not Teflon tape. I used Permatex High Performance thread Sealant from the auto parts store. You only use thread sealant on the NPT thread. NOT the straight thread.
B078BF72-93AD-441D-92F5-B298EFE3C246.jpeg86DC91A8-5989-45A1-B2D1-D3165A0D593A.jpeg61413033-B83A-4880-A646-D24318824E87.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Joe H

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the how to info. I noticed my helm doing the same thing now I know what I need to do. How much was the new helm?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the inline valves on the hydraulic lines. Did the stock one have them or did you add?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the how to info. I noticed my helm doing the same thing now I know what I need to do. How much was the new helm?
I own a Marine sales rep agency and sell to all the builders. The Purchasing Manager at one of my big builders got it for me. I think it was $600? You have to get the 2.4 if you have the dual rams on the motors.
I like the inline valves on the hydraulic lines. Did the stock one have them or did you add?

They were there. I don’t know if Grady did them or the guy who did the electronics install. I installed them on my Bertram years ago and had to use them when the auto pilot pump went down.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good practice to have shut offs to leverage so you don't get fluid all over the place and enable easy change outs.

Joe H

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for your replies, after further research I found them for around the same price.

Reactions: usmm1234

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Do you have 7 turns of the wheel to both port and starboard? I'm pretty sure on my 2003 330 that there are more turns to port than there are to starboard. The AP display pretty much confirms this as well. I've been wondering if this is a problem with my helm, cylinders or just the way it is....

I have the Seastar HC5358 cylinders.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do you have 7 turns of the wheel to both port and starboard? I'm pretty sure on my 2003 330 that there are more turns to port than there are to starboard. The AP display pretty much confirms this as well. I've been wondering if this is a problem with my helm, cylinders or just the way it is....

I have the Seastar HC5358 cylinders.

I have 4 1/3 turns from center helm in each direction. If you have 7 turns from center. You have the wrong helm. Dual rams like Grady uses, require the 2.4 helm.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Damn, going to need to look into that.

I have a tower/second station - I wonder if that would that influence what helm gets used....?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Damn, going to need to look into that.

I have a tower/second station - I wonder if that would that influence what helm gets used....?

I don’t believe so. 14 turns from stop to stop is way to many. Even with a suicide knob, slow speed steering in a Marina, or navigating back onto a trailer would be tough. I am positive Grady used the 2.4 helm.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm back at the boat in 2 weeks and will confirm the # of turns.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Confirmed that I have a 2.4 helm at the main station with 5 turns each direction.

The tower helm is 1.7 and I have about 4 1/3 turns each direction.

Not sure where I came up with 7, was a guess but it looks like I'm or close to spec.