Replacing Marlin Bolster

boatino

Reaction score
I went to my local canvas guy today to get a price on new glass for the boat along with the cockpit bolsters and rear seat. For the bolsters & rear seat he's around $925.00. It looks like a PITA to do yourself, especially around the rear seat. Does this price seem to be in line with what others are seeing? The boat is a 2000 Marlin & I'm in Rochester, NY.

Thanks,

John

reelserious

Reaction score
I had mine redone 2 seasons ago...a 2000 Sailfish. I didn't need the seatback section done. The cost was around $400 for just the combing. I was quoted $350 for the seatback. This inluded the labor to come to the boat and remove the old and return with and install the new.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had all my bolsters done 2 years ago for $500. He used the current backing which was plastic and matched GW white wth the ribs to a tee. Lighthouse canvas on long island.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Taking them off is pretty easy. There is usually one screw near the backside weep hole and then they simply lift off some hooks (basically push the whole assembly up).

The backing is a hard plastic. You can pull the old cover off and if you have the material and a good staple guy with ss or galv staples you can do it yourself. If you need to replace the foam, make sure it is closed cell. No idea what the materials cost.

I replaced a bunch of the bolster off my previous 2002 GW. The covering got pink blotches on them which was a defect in the cover. GW sent me all the parts, I just had to remove and replace.

boatino

Reaction score
So based on reelserious, it doesn't sound like he's too far off, with doing the seat cushion for the back also. Fishtales, I did pull the bolsters off which wasn't too hard. If I was just doing the port and starboard bolster I probably would have attempted it myself. But the the stern curve and seat seemed like it needed a professional. Thanks for the responses.

John

downtown

Reaction score
Do a search and you will find thread of exactly where to buy the fabric, stainless staples and explains process. I took one off to repair it and it was easy.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you DIY'rs add the piping trim and square off the ends like factory? Told my guy I wanted them to look like new from the factory. Taking pics before he tears the old stuff.