replacing powerhead

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
well ive recently put my boat in the shop to have the head gasket replaced being that the cylinders 1 and 3 had very poor compression. this is a 91 johnson 200 looper v6.

Although i get the call from the mechanic at the shop to tell me we have some talking to do lol... and that he would like to give me the good news first, except the fact their is no good news. their just happined to be alot of corrosion on the inside on the cylinder sleeve, causing the head gasket to not seal properly :( !!! so i am now in the process of finding a new powerhead so i can just swap it out. my question here is does anyone know the complecations of replacing the powerhead? i have found me a replacement powerhead for close to 1300. so i think that will be the best way to go considering i wont have to replace all the controls...

i will post some pics of the one in bad shape thats currently on my boat. and also a few of the one im looking at purchasing, so i can get you guys opinion.

im only 21 years old, so this will be a good thing for me, considering im no really familiar with outboard boat motors... a good learning experience for me. thanks guys

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
thanks just in time i went to that place but it didnt give me any prices. i found one on ebay for 1300 ill put the pics of it up i couldnt get the pics of my old one on my computer lol...

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
92e5f76eff.jpg
[/url][/img]

2d67ab61f0.jpg
[/url][/img]

f4453632d6.jpg
[/url][/img]

8e798339cf.jpg
[/url][/img]

7a6fa251a3.jpg
[/url][/img]

8ba8e675c9.jpg
[/url][/img]

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Engine Troubles!

Hello again young man! Sorry to read about your engine woes. You might get lucky and find a complete outboard for just a little more than that powerhead. You might find someone close by that may have upgraded their power and removed a good engine. Also a good machine shop might be able to repair what you already have. As far as swapping out the powerhead just get you a good repair manual for your engine and just take your time. If you run into trouble there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site who will be happy to talk you thru. Good Luck! 8)

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
that motor is very clean on the inside

whats the ebay ad # please

looks good, but hope the seller sprayed oil on the cylinders and stuff, because surface rust will happen before your eyes

Got Bass Charters

Reaction score
Just FYI took my 1990 200 Johnson to a rebuilder in Western penn. They rebuilt my power head complete including carbs with a block that has never seen saltwater in one day while I waited for $3650. I have 25hrs. on it and it runs great.If interseted I can get you the #.

gw204

Reaction score
Why are the two lower pistons in pic 5 at about the same spot in the cylinders? Aren't all three supposed to be in different positions like those in the other pic?

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
GW 204 someone else would have to answer that my friend as i am unfamiliar.

jump n jack, i really appreciate it. i think im just gonna shoot for this power head... it looks awsome in my eyes. and if i could put the pics up of the old one i think you guys would agree this is the best way.... my parents own their own buisness and they have lathes, n cnc machines n said they dnt think it can be fixed...

welll nevermind on that, i just signed onto ebay and it says the selling has ended...........
can i still give you the ebay number after it has ended?

SON OF A GUN!!!!!!

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
well its not their ne more. stupid me put the info on here and then bam its gone.......lol so im sure it was bought underneath me

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
just in time i really appreciate it, i looked and couldnt really find out how to price the product i need but i found another one for 900 that im buying... which is an awsome deal by the pics

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Good Help!

Hey Dorado!

Like I said, knowledgeable and helpful folks are here. Thanks for your assistance to this young Grady man "Just In Time"! Just a little late comment on the piston positions! Ones coming up, ones going down! They have got to pass one another somewhere as the engine goes round and round! :lol:

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yes sir, you guys make this site very interesting......i think i have found a good deal so we will see...luckly my parents have their own buisness so we have the forklift to get it off