Replacing rotted bulkhead on 2001 226

FISHNFF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just picked up a 2001 226 Seafarer from Bellingham Washington. Has a 2005 Yamaha 250 with 711 hours and a Yamaha 15 kicker with helm throttle and Panther steering. She sits atop a Loadmaster aluminum tandem axle with new torsion axles and brakes.
The dual fuel tanks look good and are dry and no moisture or corrosion. Even has a diesel heater! Full new Grady Bimini and HD aluminum arch. 92/56 fuel tanks and FW 10g tank.

Only issue that needs addressing are both port and starboard bulkheads are rotted. These are the vertical boards that make up the aft portions of the cabin (left and right of cabin door). Both sides look like untreated plywood with a white laminate. I’m hoping during the off season to remove the boards and take them to TAP Plastic and have replacements cut from 1/2” Starboard.
There is a lot of open ended cut wood on this boat.
Radio box
Pull out drawer frame under seats
The wooden liner for the under funnel rod storage. You reach under there and you feel rough uneven cut wood under the gunnels.

The other issue I have are the plastic liners on the sides of the helm. They crack. I will rebuild them. With Starboard too.

Good news the rest of the boat seems solid.
previous owner had transom checked along with all hoses and fuel tanks. No soft spots anywhere and no stress cracks.

I’ve owned a 1987 204C from new and a 1992 226 still owned with my brother kept in a slip. This vessel is mobile to go where the fish are up and down the coast.

FISHNFF
2001 Seafarer 226 “No Ka Oi”

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had a few panels under the helm that were that open-end plywood with a melamine finish. Ends swollen and staining the deck. I went with "Seafoam" color King Starboard. They look factory new.

I think that is the right choice for your repair.

Reactions: Koz54

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Hookup1 - I have the same issue you had on my ‘03 seafarer under the steering wheel. I was surprised the bottom delaminated since I have a hardtop and full canvas, but the boat is almost 20 years old. Anyways, I live southeast of Boston Ma. Any recommendations for where I can get a small sheet of the seafoam starboard? (Order on-line, dealer,etc..). I figure I can use the existing piece as a template. Any suggestions are appreciated . Thx

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookup1 - I have the same issue you had on my ‘03 seafarer under the steering wheel. I was surprised the bottom delaminated since I have a hardtop and full canvas, but the boat is almost 20 years old. Anyways, I live southeast of Boston Ma. Any recommendations for where I can get a small sheet of the seafoam starboard? (Order on-line, dealer,etc..). I figure I can use the existing piece as a template. Any suggestions are appreciated . Thx
You can order the Seafoam starboard online. Amazon is a good source. Order pieces (not a full sheet) to keep shipping reasonable. Have a shop or marina check their distributors (like Mesco in my area). I went to a local guy to buy it. He went ahead and cut and routed everything for me while I waited. https://offshoreeddy.com/

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you need to recore fiberglass panels or deck pieces I recommend using Coosa board. Very light, strong and does not absorb water.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing to be careful with if you go Starboard is it expands with heat....while it won't rot, it may warp in the summer.