Replacing Snaps on Cushions

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I need to replace a bunch of snaps o0n my seat cusions but am having trouble finding replacemetns that match the remaining originals. West Marine has a kit but they look kinda cheap. Should I take the cushions to a canvass repair shop? Any other thoughts?

30marlin

Reaction score
A big problem I have found with replacement snaps is the style of crimp inside the snap.
If you look at your original snap you will see you have a nice and narrow roll crimp on the inside.
The tool from West Marine will make the crimp look like a star burst that presses the material as
far out to the side as possible and this will interfere with the male end of the snap and they will not
lock together tightly.

I would love to find out what they use to make that roll crimp.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've changed a few of these over the years. I got the replacements from a local Grady dealer. I use a flared punch to start and then a dull nail punch to finish the job. I've never had an issue with the mating interference. I use a block of wood as a backer. I agree it doesn't look as nice as the factory ones with the tool, but I didn't buy an expensive tool that I really didn't need and they hold up as good if not better than the stock ones.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
A good friend of mine owns an upholstery shop. I used his "snap tool" along with several handfuls of his stainless snaps... (cost - twelve pack of Coors Light) The tool was MUCH heavier then the normal ones from west marine and other stores... It has an adjustable stop for different thickness of canvas or vinyl... It worked perfect to create the "rolled" look on the inside as well as tightening up some that had started to get loose...
Might be worth talking with a local shop to swap them out for you... probably worthwhile in the long run...

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I sent Grady customer service an email asking if I could get replacement snaps direct from the factory and I am awaiting a response. If that doesn't work, I will probably go to a local canvass repair shop.

Grady678

Reaction score
Gulfstream G said:
I need to replace a bunch of snaps o0n my seat cusions but am having trouble finding replacemetns that match the remaining originals. West Marine has a kit but they look kinda cheap. Should I take the cushions to a canvass repair shop? Any other thoughts?

The snaps should be similar to West Marine. The garbage tool they sell does not properly 'roll' the stem properly. IT WILL work by getting creative enough to complete the roll with a blunt object. The key that was not mentioned above is cushions usually require some type of 'backing' material for support. cut just enough material to support the pulling of the snap and place between snap stud and cushion. If the snap twists.....it's not on tight enough. So it does not rip.....use a snap tool device to pry off the snaps each time it is removed. They sell them online or canvas shops for about $5. Basically, it's just a leverage device to pop off the snap.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I am constantly having to replace snaps. I went out and got a heavy duty snap tool. It makes those nice rolled edges you are looking for. I don't remember where I got it, but it looks like a cross between an large aluminum c-clamp and a pair of vice grips. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. It works great.