Replacing Snaps

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
Hi Fish Tank: No that is not the tool. I have never seen the one you mentioned. I purchased the one that you try to hammer on. What a waste? The tool you mentioned is really something else, and I can see how it would work so much better. The cost is wow???

seasick

Reaction score
dwain said:
Hi Fish Tank: No that is not the tool. I have never seen the one you mentioned. I purchased the one that you try to hammer on. What a waste? The tool you mentioned is really something else, and I can see how it would work so much better. The cost is wow???
The tool is expensive. I suggest you bring your canvas to a canvas shop and have them replace the snaps. They should last a long time if properly done. It will be cheaper than buying the tool.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I bought a kit to replace the snaps on my cushions, the kit had 2 pieces that fit in the jaws of normal size vice grips. Also bought about 100 replacement snaps. Total cost ~$20, takes about 20 seconds per snap.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I just got my tool from West Marine and easily replaced the snaps on my cushions. Just a word of caution...make sure you put the right snap (male or female) where it belongs. They're a little tougher to remove.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The kit that uses the vice grips works good enough, not for the pros but for us is fine and way less expensive -found mine at Freeport Marine in Freeport, NY. You use your own vice grips or buy ones.
The one I bought is made of metal parts, the former I had was made of plastic not so good would not recommend them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Why do you need at tool? I use a flared nail set, a block of wood and a hammer. Attach the snap, place the round side on the block, tap the set into the male end of the snap and flare it out a bit, then tap the flared end flat. Takes 2 seconds (just like this :-| ) and they last fine.

I would use the white plastic grady snap remover and vasoline as stated. The rings in the snaps should loosen over time which helps snapping and unsnapping.