Replacing Teak

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Got about replacing the under-gunwale rods holders in my '86 Tournament. Pretty quickly ran against a stop when I couldn't find any teak of sufficient size for less than an arm, so I called Grady. They said the later model holders made of starboard were spec replacements, call a dealer; left a message at one dealer, never got a call return, so I went looking for fabricators. I found http://www.marineplasticfab.com/, and they did a super job at a finished price not much greater than the teak alone would have cost (if I could have found it). The original is 7/8" teak, so I opted for 3/4" starboard in 'Sanshade', variance of the finished holders is less than a 1/64th. Look 'em up if you want anything out of starboard ...
:goodjob

Attachments

• DSC00169a (Small).jpg
    DSC00169a (Small).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 905

JeffN

Reaction score
Those look very nice. Thats probably a next year project for me. What if anything have you done with the teak strips around the cockpit?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Haven't done anything with the strips. The sides would be easy, but there's some complex angles on corners and around consoles and don't know if I will due to cost v. benefit. I did see a source of starboard replacement strips somewhere, but don't remember. I've done the console bulkheads, removable hatch covers, and now the side rod holders. Currently have a friend reproducing the stern rod holder brackets in teak (I have the 'G'' model). Could have used those boards for the side holders, but didn't plan far enough ahead.

One thing to remember about starboard, it's not a rigid material. It will provide structural support in thicker sizes, but is 'soft' and cannot always be secured tightly. My bulkheads (which were teak laminated plywood) are not weight bearing, fit well, and are well secured, but I use my boat hard. Constant flexing, torquing, and temp changes cause some of the screws to loosen slightly. It's a simple matter to check every couple of months and it's not really a problem, but it does happen ...

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I am replacing my simulated teak trim this winter on my 268 Islander. I removed the trim cleaned the fiberglass gel coat and am applying what Grady is using today: http://www.barbourcorp.com/Grady-White_ ... b-rail.htm (F8252 tape)

Andy

I am also building padded cockpit bolsters that will run all the way down to the beginning of the opening of the rod holder area.