Replacing the stereo

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So the boat came with a Kenwood stereo. From the paperwork I got, looks like it has not worked since the PO bought it three years ago, from the original owner.

I bought a Boss unit to replace it with, but it is not the “standard” square unit. This is a round unit and I was thinking to just add it to the dash and replace the controls for the Kenwood that is there....bypassing the need for the unit in the cabin.

Anyone ever done this? ( just removed the cabin unit all together and added a dash unit?

Russ

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can do that if desired. I'd want a fusion for water intrusion protection though. It will be exposed to the elements more.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Can you link the one you would replace it with? Or have a model #?

This one may work...saw the paperwork from the original owner, says it stopped working so it may just be they never tried.

Last edited:

chbrow10

Reaction score
Let us know if you do anything. I'm very curious how the wires are run. I am thinking about replacing mine and the wire chases have me puzzled.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I turned the electronics on for the first time. Stereo worked fine. Not all the speakers appears to work right off the bat, but that is a pretty easy fix to diagnose. That being said... fairly cheap to go to Frys and just have them run all new speakers etc for free if I buy a stereo heh

May send the small one I got from Amazon back and just replace the same style etc in the boat... should be easier.

R