Replacing the Stern Shower holder cup thingy tips

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I am replacing the stern shower insert on my boat. The problem is Grady went ahead and made an upgrade and they cup insert piece is now thicker, built better so it does not fit in the original hole.

I have a bosche jig saw which is really nice, but one of the guys at Grady said to widen the hole with a dremmel tool. So does anybody have any pointers on enlarging the hole on the transom gunwhale. I am afraid the jig saw will chip the top gel coat and I guess I need to break down and get a dremmel ( sorry it is likely spelled wrong). I likely need to get the diameter about 1/4 inch bigger.

Thanks for any tips.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought one also and never installed it because of the same reason. I am looking forward to your solution.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I replaced mine a while back.. The dremmel works but it takes forever to get enough cleaned out. Make sure u get a good bit. Have fun..:)

NO REGRETS

Reaction score
screw a bigger than the hole piece of 1/4 inch wood into the existing holes covering the old hole from under the bottom and mark the exact center. buy a hole saw the size you need with along center bit and drill the new hole nice and straight , slowly. and carefully. This is no different than drilling a new hole for a bigger gauge in the dash should you have the need. :goodjob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks No Regrets. I have yet to get to the project with school about to start and things being busy plus it has rained like everyday now for a couple weeks (lol)....I think your method might be the trick....

Fishtales

Reaction score
That sounds like a good upgrade...
Can someone provide information (part number, where to purchase etc)?
Might give me something to do at haul out time.....

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks to be this one. They offer it in 10' and 6'. This is the 10' one. Scandivk 12130