Replacing tilt seals on Yamaha 200 HPDI

Kromke

Reaction score
Tilt stopped working on port engine, engine remains in down position. Saturday I added hydraulic fluid and the main (center) tilt piston is leaking fluid when pushing (trying to push really) engine upwards.

Are replacing the tilt seals something for the do-it-yourselfer or is this a job to take to the shop?

How much is the tilt seal kit going to run me? where can it be purchased?

All comments appreciated.

Kromke

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would advice going to thehulltruth.com and asking Andy at SIM vendor site.

You can email him also if not a THT member, as I do.

tiderunner

Reaction score
you can do it . Get a book and if you can remove the unit from the moter it would be even easier for you . Just make sure when you replace any bolts in that moter that use genuine Yamaha bolts. Everything is metric and it is also some kind of strange alloy. The are not stainless steel but are a ferous metel and they dont rust . I dont get it but I also dont screw with it either. Not worth intruducing a different metal for galvanic corrosion. Sorry for the rant . The whole unit can be bench stripped and tested 100% re-install after winter and be good to go. Or buy a new rebuilt for $800-600.

choogenboom

Reaction score
How old is your engine? I recently replaced the trim cylinder (not tilt - it is much harder) dust seals on my 1994 Yamaha 250 but in my case it was a slow leak - had to top off the tilt fluid resevoir every 3-6 months.

Not knowing the year of your engine, this might not be the exact picture but its pretty close. Note you can see and price the parts you will need here as well. The parts are cheap - its the labor that will kill you!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

I assume you are seeing hydraulic fluid coming out of parts 7/8 in the blowup?

The seals you see on the outside are really just dust seals - they are not the ones holding hydraulic pressure. So if you see fluid blowing out of the dust seal at a high rate (which is what it sounds like) that indicates you have a problem with the seal on the hydraulic piston itself.

To service the tilt (as opposed to the trim) cylinder seals you would have to remove the whole tilt/trim assembly and dissassemble it on your bench. You can not get at the tilt seals with the unit on the engine. I rebuilt trim/tilt units on two different engines and would say it compares to rebuilding a carburator in the level of difficulty. The wildcard is how corroded your unit is and will you have to use a blowtorch to get out frozen bolts etc. In one case, using the proper spanner wrench, I could not get the cylinder end cap off even though it did not even appear corroded. Blowtorch and freeze spray had no impact. Good luck!

chris

Kromke

Reaction score
A bit over my head and too much time to tackle this problem so I am in the process of having a dealer fix the problem. I will report back on pricing etc.

Kromke