Replacing V-Berth Cushions...

bartoma

Reaction score
So, For the last few years, I've thought about replacing my cushions because they are extremely hard...

I put in a Froli underlayment, which helps mainly with ventilation, but not much with cushion... I have put mattress toppers over the cushions, and this works OK, but is a PITA...

I have not sought out quotes, but I get the sense that this would be pretty darn expensive if I were to go to an upholsterer or a canvas shop and got new ones made from scratch...

Has anyone done this, and what would one expect to pay for new cushions?

One think I thought about was maybe finding a comfortable five or six inch foam mattress and cutting it down based on the cushion shape... The task then would be to simply have these covered...

In any case, just wondering if anyone have gone down this road...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had them remade with 4" medium density foam, including new covers, and it was about $600 for the set, including the center filler piece. Pretty inexpensive, actually.

Reactions: bartoma

bartoma

Reaction score
;) mine are plenty soft enough for the 20 fishing rods and rolled up foul weather gear:p
Yea, I am in the perhaps unusual position of staying on the boat overnight a good bit with wife and little boy... If it were within my means, I'd love to have a 330 Express - but that's $100K (min) past the paid for boat I already have...

Doing my best to make it as comfy as possible for our weekend outings...

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I crash in there to get early start for the tuna grounds and on a few overnights to the canyons. 265 is not the best cabin layout for family weekends. No table & seating.
Someone on here made a table that replaces the helm chair. that would be a plus.

bartoma

Reaction score
I crash in there to get early start for the tuna grounds and on a few overnights to the canyons. 265 is not the best cabin layout for family weekends. No table & seating.
Someone on here made a table that replaces the helm chair. that would be a plus.
Yea, that was me - got an oval table from Boat Outfitters and put a mount on it so it could slide onto the pedestal... Works like a charm...

yea, would definitely appreciate more room, a mid-berth, genset, and AC, but the boat I have is infinitely better than the one I don't have... :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
If the covers are ok, why not just new foam? They have many densities these days. You can use existing as a template and use an electric carve knife to cut them precisely. Just use the silk wrap to get them in the cushions or it can be a PIA to do.

bartoma

Reaction score
If the covers are ok, why not just new foam? They have many densities these days. You can use existing as a template and use an electric carve knife to cut them precisely. Just use the silk wrap to get them in the cushions or it can be a PIA to do.
Definitely an option, though the upholstery is a bit scratchy, and I am thinking five inches might be a lot better than three inches... Guess I'll be weighing cost/benefit along the spectrum...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The foam is not inexpensive. Also make sure you "test" it to be sure it is what you want to be sleeping on. If you are going to spend the money on the cushions do the covers too and give yourself the option of going thicker. Do the backrests too but reuse the foam. If you are inclined to DIY checkout http://www.sailrite.com .

Also a DIY video: https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-V-Berth-Cushions-Video

bartoma

Reaction score
Clearly - visited a local canvas place, and the ROM ranged from $900 for foam replacement to $2k for new cushions/upholstery... Will take some noodlin'...

Fishtales

Reaction score

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It would pay anyone doing cushion, or foam, work to research all the sources in your area. I know that in my area, there is a large mill outlet fabric store(not your typical Joann Fabrics), with a large corner of the place a foam area, with large cutting tables and machines. They have a steady stream of people bringing in old upholstery cushions, or dimensions, and they send they out with new cut-to-size pieces faster than I could make breakfast. I think the cuts are free if you buy their foam, but even a small charge is very worth while.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can check Sailrite online. They sell just about everything and have great videos. If you have someone that knows how to sew, it really isn't hard at all.