Replacing windshield screws with bolts/nuts thru gunwale

ncuke

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hey folks!

what are your opinions on replacing screws with a thru setup on a windshield? See attached photo - this screw spins in place and there are some spider cracks emanating from the hole. Was thinking 316ss bolt with a washer and lock nut underneath the gunwale? I can get up there with a flashlight. Any hesitation with this?

thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• 09749989-E553-478D-B24B-1BBD7D921568.jpeg
    09749989-E553-478D-B24B-1BBD7D921568.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
How old is the boat?

Those cracks are very common and may not be caused by the tightness of the screws. In can be the opposite. The metal frame of the windshield and the fiberglass mold of the helm expand and contract at different rates. That puts lateral stress on the screw connections resulting in high stress pressure.
Bolts with washers can help if the holes are slightly enlarged to allow some movement side to side of the mounting bolt. If possible, I would use flat washers and nylock nuts. Do not overtighten the nuts.
Take a good look around the entire base of the windshield. Depending on age you probably may see other stress cracks starting

ncuke

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
How old is the boat?

Those cracks are very common and may not be caused by the tightness of the screws. In can be the opposite. The metal frame of the windshield and the fiberglass mold of the helm expand and contract at different rates. That puts lateral stress on the screw connections resulting in high stress pressure.
Bolts with washers can help if the holes are slightly enlarged to allow some movement side to side of the mounting bolt. If possible, I would use flat washers and nylock nuts. Do not overtighten the nuts.
Take a good look around the entire base of the windshield. Depending on age you probably may see other stress cracks starting
Thanks seasick - it’s a 96 hull. The spider cracking is really only on that last screw on the end. Your expansion comment makes sense. I yes I was thinking the nylon lock nuts with a flat washer. Appreciate your thoughts

seasick

Reaction score
I am interested to hear what you finally do and how it works out. You really can't do a 'complete' spider crack repair with the windshield frame in place and I don't recommend removing it unless absolutely necessary. If you can get some sealant into the holes and squished under the frame, that will help keep out moisture and prevent or at least slow down the development of rust runs.