Repower 192 With Suzuki DF140BG?

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Does anyone have a 192 Tournament (or ridden on one) with the Suzuki 140?

I am stuck between getting the 140 and saving weight or getting a 150 and having more power.- price is negligible between the two.

I see a lot of threads with theoretical answers, but not many with real experience.

I mostly cruise with one other person on inland rivers and bays.

I’ll update the post with my decision, pics, reflections etc after something’s hanging on the transom.

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Thats what I’m leaning toward. If for nothing else it will be easier to sell if I ever need to get rid of it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What engine is currently on the back of the boat? I'd look at whatever is on there in regards to the weight of the outboard and then compare accordingly to see what difference it might make with scupper level etc. It looks like the Suzuki 140 in the 25" version is 419 lbs and the 150 in the 25" version is either 522 or 531 lbs depending on if you go mechanical or digital controls. If your boat is in the water, you could always put an extra 100 lbs or so in the stern and see if that has any effect on the stance/height of the stern of the boat, especially when it's fully loaded with fuel and whatever your typical weight load is going to be. If the extra hundred pounds doesn't make a huge difference and the price is negligible between the two, I'd probably lean towards the 150, especially the digital throttle controlled 150. If there's an issue with the extra 100 lbs of weight, then I think the 140 would likely do just fine as well. A buddy of mine has one on his 20' Wooldridge, which is an aluminum boat, but they love it. Good luck!

Reactions: MashpeeMan

Gulffishin

Reaction score
What engine is currently on the back of the boat? I'd look at whatever is on there in regards to the weight of the outboard and then compare accordingly to see what difference it might make with scupper level etc. It looks like the Suzuki 140 in the 25" version is 419 lbs and the 150 in the 25" version is either 522 or 531 lbs depending on if you go mechanical or digital controls. If your boat is in the water, you could always put an extra 100 lbs or so in the stern and see if that has any effect on the stance/height of the stern of the boat, especially when it's fully loaded with fuel and whatever your typical weight load is going to be. If the extra hundred pounds doesn't make a huge difference and the price is negligible between the two, I'd probably lean towards the 150, especially the digital throttle controlled 150. If there's an issue with the extra 100 lbs of weight, then I think the 140 would likely do just fine as well. A buddy of mine has one on his 20' Wooldridge, which is an aluminum boat, but they love it. Good luck!
It has the old 24 year old FICHT 175 believe it or not. It still runs, but parts are getting hard to find and the price of upgrading to a used Freedom 225’s in 2023 has gotten crazy, so repowering is extending the life of my old 192 and giving me an “upgrade” in the meantime.

The dealer thinks the 140 will work, but that it’ll be working hard to keep up, but I’m actually leaning toward a 175 Suzuki now.

They threw me a wildcard and offered a new 175 with digital controls and 25” shaft that they have been sitting on a minute (mostly 20in transoms in my area) and they’re offering it out the door (including rigging install tax etc for $16k. Only negative is that it’s black.

If it’s too stern heavy I suppose I can move the batteries forward and ditch the water tank.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had a 2003 DF140 on a Wellcraft V20 (20 foot, 20 degree V hull Roughly 2000 pounds loaded. ) Great motor. Topped out ~38mph Great mpg!
Great for ocean fishing because you rarely can go over 30mph anyways. No complaints. Ran it hard for 12 years and sold the boat to get my 265
If you are a lake boat or small bay with glassy conditions all the time, you will miss out on +40mph.

Zuke had not come out with a 150 four stroke at that point or I probably would have thought hard about that. But the DF140 was under just $10k at the time
Replaced a Merc 150 2 stroke that topped out at ~44 ...light in flat water.

The DF150AP is the same motor as my DF200APs. Great motors.

HTHM

Reaction score
It has the old 24 year old FICHT 175 believe it or not. It still runs, but parts are getting hard to find and the price of upgrading to a used Freedom 225’s in 2023 has gotten crazy, so repowering is extending the life of my old 192 and giving me an “upgrade” in the meantime.

The dealer thinks the 140 will work, but that it’ll be working hard to keep up, but I’m actually leaning toward a 175 Suzuki now.

They threw me a wildcard and offered a new 175 with digital controls and 25” shaft that they have been sitting on a minute (mostly 20in transoms in my area) and they’re offering it out the door (including rigging install tax etc for $16k. Only negative is that it’s black.

If it’s too stern heavy I suppose I can move the batteries forward and ditch the water tank.
The 175 would be the best choice, and you will get used to the colour. Make all the Mercury owners jealous having a trouble-free black motor.....;)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Your old FICHT motor weighs about 405 lbs compared to the 150-200 Suzuki's that are all 531 lbs in the 25" version with the digital controls. If you're considering the 150 then as you mentioned, might as well consider the 175 as well. Any idea how the FICHT sits in the water and where the waterline is on your boat? You can definitely do a few things to offset the weight, like you mentioned with the batteries. $16k seems like a decent price for the 175, the maximum horsepower for your hull should be 200 hp, so you could even go up to that if you wanted, and depending on the year of the boat that you have. I'm guessing if the outboard is 24 years old now that the hull itself is as well? I kind of like the white color of the Suzuki a bit more than the black as well, did they happen to give you any insight as to the pricing or how long it would take to get one in white?

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Your old FICHT motor weighs about 405 lbs compared to the 150-200 Suzuki's that are all 531 lbs in the 25" version with the digital controls. If you're considering the 150 then as you mentioned, might as well consider the 175 as well. Any idea how the FICHT sits in the water and where the waterline is on your boat? You can definitely do a few things to offset the weight, like you mentioned with the batteries. $16k seems like a decent price for the 175, the maximum horsepower for your hull should be 200 hp, so you could even go up to that if you wanted, and depending on the year of the boat that you have. I'm guessing if the outboard is 24 years old now that the hull itself is as well? I kind of like the white color of the Suzuki a bit more than the black as well, did they happen to give you any insight as to the pricing or how long it would take to get one in white?
The boat sits pretty well with the FICHT right now. I usually keep the gas tank full and the scuppers stay above the water at rest unless two people are on the stern-then some water will come in through the stern. Getting on plane and attitude while underway is fine even when passengers are in the jump seats - which is rare. Boat runs /rides fine with the old 175 (except the FICHT does not like to run right below 3500 RPMS)

Yep the hull is a 1999 too. It’s still pretty solid- its got some oxidation and some sunblock stains especially in the cockpit) but it shines up nice with some elbow grease.

I did not ask about the lead time on a white motor. They said it just depends on whether any are available in the supply chain-guessing it could be anywhere from days to months. I also like the white ones better, but I’d get used to the black one—I cant see it when I’m driving anyway :)

For those curious-They quoted~$14k for the 140; $15K for the 150 (with mechanical controls). ~$17k for a 175 (digital) $18k for the 200 (digital). I was told white in any HP is about $300 upgrade.

I checked on a Yamaha F150 at a different local dealer and it was in the $18-19k range. Our Merc dealer is Bass Pro Shop so I passed on the Mercury.

The 175 is the only 25in they have in stock so they’re willing to work with me on that one and offered $16K out the door. Special orders are going to be regular price.

I’m going to make the call next week- right now leaning toward the 175. I can move and remove weight easier than I can try to make more power out of a 140.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I have a 2001 192 and I'm repowering with a 140 Tohatsu (replacing the original Yamaha 150 HPDI). I was considering a 150 Honda that was the same weight as the current 2 stroke Yami... but a Grady rep. recommended that I go as light as possible as the scuppers in our older 192's are right at the waterline and both my dealer and Grady said that the nearly 100 pound difference (lighter weight of the Tohatsu) will easily make up for the loss of 10 HP. The Grady rep. said that they "corrected" the low scupper issues a few years later (maybe 2003) by repositioning the gas tank a little bit more forward to get some weight off the back. But she was fairly adamant that it would be very helpful to take a few pounds off the back. I've definitely found with my boat that if we're sitting anchored or fishing, etc., that if one or two people are sitting in the back water will flow into the cockpit. I added some of those ping-pong ball contraption things which help, but it's definitely something you'll want to consider.

Gulffishin

Reaction score
I have a 2001 192 and I'm repowering with a 140 Tohatsu (replacing the original Yamaha 150 HPDI). I was considering a 150 Honda that was the same weight as the current 2 stroke Yami... but a Grady rep. recommended that I go as light as possible as the scuppers in our older 192's are right at the waterline and both my dealer and Grady said that the nearly 100 pound difference (lighter weight of the Tohatsu) will easily make up for the loss of 10 HP. The Grady rep. said that they "corrected" the low scupper issues a few years later (maybe 2003) by repositioning the gas tank a little bit more forward to get some weight off the back. But she was fairly adamant that it would be very helpful to take a few pounds off the back. I've definitely found with my boat that if we're sitting anchored or fishing, etc., that if one or two people are sitting in the back water will flow into the cockpit. I added some of those ping-pong ball contraption things which help, but it's definitely something you'll want to consider.
I was hoping you would respond. I have been watching your thread and anxiously waiting for you to post your results after getting the 140

I have read a lot of threads with a lot of theory, but have not seen a review with first hand experience with a <150 on a 192. I’m sure a 140 would meet my needs, but am scared to be the first to pull the trigger, so I’ll probably go with the 175 and deal with with the weight gain.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Yes understood. I'll post an update as soon as I get the boat back from the dealer and in the water (still a little bit early in New England unfortunately). My dealer reviewed the weight and specs of my 192 and compared it to others he installed (with the 140) and assured me I'll be more than happy. He said that there's also improvement over the 20 plus years from my older motor that again should make up for the loss of HP. But I expect that the nearly 100 lbs. of weight differential will be the biggest factor. Fingers crossed!

I'm expecting to get out within the next few weeks. Hopefully my mooring will be installed by the weekend then I'll get something scheduled (I'm having the boatyard do some other minor work including a new and better cap to replace the bang-plate while the motor was off). I'm also not sure exactly how long it will take me to really see what the new motor can do as I'm not sure I can open it up until after it's broken in. But maybe it wouldn't hurt to cheat and just see what it can do for a minute! I'm sure it won't take much for me to feel any differences. Will definitely post an update as soon as I get to run it.

Reactions: Gulffishin

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
One other suggestion is you may want to run this by GW with the year of your boat, etc. They sure convinced me and the rep. was adamant that losing that weight would be the right call (like the dealer she insisted that I wouldn't notice the loss of 10HP with that kind of weight loss... nearly 100 lbs with the 140). I spoke with GW after feeling the same frustration you had and I didn't want to just take the dealer's word for it (although the other option was a Honda 150 so either way the dealer knew I was going to repower). Hearing how adamant the GW rep. was is what really made up my mind.

Reactions: Gulffishin

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Yes understood. I'll post an update as soon as I get the boat back from the dealer and in the water (still a little bit early in New England unfortunately). My dealer reviewed the weight and specs of my 192 and compared it to others he installed (with the 140) and assured me I'll be more than happy. He said that there's also improvement over the 20 plus years from my older motor that again should make up for the loss of HP. But I expect that the nearly 100 lbs. of weight differential will be the biggest factor. Fingers crossed!

I'm expecting to get out within the next few weeks. Hopefully my mooring will be installed by the weekend then I'll get something scheduled (I'm having the boatyard do some other minor work including a new and better cap to replace the bang-plate while the motor was off). I'm also not sure exactly how long it will take me to really see what the new motor can do as I'm not sure I can open it up until after it's broken in. But maybe it wouldn't hurt to cheat and just see what it can do for a minute! I'm sure it won't take much for me to feel any differences. Will definitely post an update as soon as I get to run it.
Sounds like you’re getting some pretty nice upgrades!

Either way I’ll post my results after my new power is on the transom so the next guys faced with this decision can have another thread to dig through

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Picked the boat up today with the new 175 rigged up. It’s whole lot quieter and seems to have plenty of power. Drive by wire is nice, but I’m going to miss the analog gauges.

She sits lower in the stern for especially on the starboard side, but no water is coming through the scuppers, so I’m happy. I may end up moving the batteries forward to help balance things, but that’ll be a winter project.

Gulffishin

Reaction score
pic with new suzuki installed

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    926.9 KB · Views: 8