repower 1998 voyager

johnwater

Reaction score
new member.I have a 1998 voyager with twin 150 yamaha,carbureted,time to repower.have read about the additional weight issues and checking the scuppers level.looking at yamaha 150 4 strokes,does anyone have advice on these motors and the process of repowering.I undertstand that new mounting holes will need to be drilled in transom.my 1998 Grady brochure indicates the boat is rated for 350 hp,but I dont know if that considers the weight of the new engines.
my area advertises factory trained technicians and master technicians,does any one have a feel for having to have master tech oversee the job?
thanks for any comments
john w

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Welcome to the GG site.

You don't indicate where you are, or how you will use the boat.

While twins are nice, perhaps you should consider repowering with the new 300-HP Yamaha Offshore V-6. This will be great power for that boat, with less weight than your two current engines. We have someone in our GW club who repowered a 268 Islander with that engine and loves it. Had a 250-HP OX66 before repowering.

If you are determined to keep twins, then I recommend you consult GW Customer Support re twin F150s. While they are within your HP rating, I think the overall weight will not be acceptable for the transom, and the overall trim of the boat. (JMHO)

Brian

johnwater

Reaction score
thanks for your reply.
i am down south in new orleans,we fish brackish and saltwater mostly,often have to travel great distances for fishing.have become accustomed to having a reliable "get home engine",but the idea of a single engine is good.i think the new twins would add 150-200 pounds to the stern? i am going to get a 200+ friend come stand on the transom and look at the scupper situation.
i understand the 4 cycle engines are much more reliable?
thanks john

seasick

Reaction score
johnwater said:
thanks for your reply.
i am down south in new orleans,we fish brackish and saltwater mostly,often have to travel great distances for fishing.have become accustomed to having a reliable "get home engine",but the idea of a single engine is good.i think the new twins would add 150-200 pounds to the stern? i am going to get a 200+ friend come stand on the transom and look at the scupper situation.
i understand the 4 cycle engines are much more reliable?
thanks john
I think it's too early to sat for sure that the F350 is a truly reliable motor. In addition, some of the F225 and F200 have issues with exhaust corrosion. Only time will tell but historically to date , you can't top the reliability of the SX line of motors.

Pete1313

Reaction score
I have a '97 voyager and have thought about repowering, but my OX66 just keeps ticking....

I'm in the Pacific NW and we all commonly have a low HP "kicker" motor for trolling for salmon at 3 kts or so. I have a 250 main and a 9.9 high thrust kicker. In calm seas, slack current with 3 dudes and half a load of fuel (75 gal), that 9.9 will push my voyager at 4-5 kts at wide open. that is usually enough to keep you off the rocks, and even get you home.

I've thought alot about this - and I think the best setup for fuel economy and safety is to buy a 300 yammie or suzuki main (they both weigh about the same as a 250 OX66 taking into consideration all the oil you have to carry) and then slapping on a 15 or 25 horse kicker.

Just my .02.....

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 96 Voyager and just wanted to know if you plan on changing all fuel hose and below water line fittings along with the repower?

paulyjsob

Reaction score
I don't know the exact number, but being that the Yamaha F150's are 4 cylinder engines VS your current V6's, there's won't be a huge difference in weight. Also, you may want to look into the new Mercury 150hp 4 stroke's. They are close to 40lbs lighter than the Yamaha F150.
Are you current engines giving you trouble? If you're doing it for fuel savings, the $30K it'll cost to repower will buy a LOT of gas :wink:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian raises a good point. The Voyager does not have the running bottom extending through to where the engines mount on the transom. (I believe that it was the prevalence of four strokes that caused Grady to extend the running bottom on many of their models.) It is likely that you'll feel the extra weight of the four-strokes. On the other hand, the 300 V6 is a very good match if you're comfortable with a single engine.

wendyss

Reaction score
Brian raises a good point. The Voyager does not have the running bottom extending through to where the engines mount on the transom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rc Hobby|Rc Helicopters Reviews|Rc Helicopter