Repower 1999 209 Escape

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
I want to repower my 1999 209 Escape, currenly It has 1999 Yamaha 150 hp Txr 2stroke. I would like more power either 200hpdi or F 225 four stroke.Would the F225 too heavy for the stern? Anyone has this set up ?

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I have a F225 on my 1994 Seafarer and its fine. Eveyone seems to think that it weighs to much but I have no problems. Yes the scruppers are closer to the water line but it has not been a problem. You might want to try something a little smaller since your boat is a little smaller.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
I have a '04 F200 on a '93 Escape and its great- 27kts cruise and no issues with the waterline/scuppers. I would go with the F200, if I remember correctly, the F225 is the same motor- it just requires higher octane fuel to generate the extra horses.

fishhrd

Reaction score
I have a 97 escape that I repowered with a 2005 honda 225. I have put 80 hours on it so far and the extra weight is not an issue. Scuppers are above water but I installed trim tabs and hydralic steering. Tabs are a must though to get the bow down in rough water.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
My 1997 Escape is powered with a Mercury 200 EFI. My motor is still in great shape and only has about 100hrs on it. However, just due to the age, I am starting to think about repowering.

I have been very happy with my 200hp 2-stroke motor but will probably repower with a 4-stroke. However, I want to keep the weight as low as possible. I know several people with Suzuki motors and they have been very pleased. The Suzuki 200 and 225 are listed at 580lbs. The Yamaha 200 and 225 are listed at 583lbs. Not enough to notice. And finally the Honda 200 and 225 are listed at 599lbs.

I think they are all great motors. For the price/value I am leaning towards the 225lbs Suzuki.

Let me know which way you go and how you like it. Best of luck.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
I am thinking repower to Yamaha 200 hp hpdi or 225hp. My mechanic said I could reused my control and gauges . The only concern is the weight of four stroke. And I forgot to ask him about the cable steering on my boat. Since the engine is heavier I don't know I can reused my cable sterring or I have to change to hydraulic steering.

fishhrd

Reaction score
Just remember the 4 stroke is about 25 hp slower then the 2 stroke. I had a 200 yamaha 2 stoke and the performance with the 225 4 stoke is the same. Same top speed but a little faster cruise with the 4 stroke.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:
I am thinking repower to Yamaha 200 hp hpdi or 225hp. My mechanic said I could reused my control and gauges . The only concern is the weight of four stroke. And I forgot to ask him about the cable steering on my boat. Since the engine is heavier I don't know I can reused my cable sterring or I have to change to hydraulic steering.

As previously mentioned, the weight of the four stroke won't be an issue, the cable steering might be though. I bought my Escape already repowered and the previous owner decided to keep the cable steering- it was the first thing I upgraded on the boat. Up on plane it wasn't an issue, but turing the wheel from lock-to-lock with the cable steering for close quarters was quite the work out! Based on this experience, I'd say anything 200 HP and up should have hydraulic steering on it. Good luck with your repower!