Repower 206G w/ 150 TXR?

BigI

Reaction score
I've been researching options for repowering my 206G. It has the original '87 150 yamaha on it. It's still running but I realize someday in the near future I'll have to repower.

Putting big bucks into "this old boat" for a new high tech outboard is a tricky proposition. Buy a used engine and save initially but might suffer in reliability.

Do you think a good compromise would be a new Yamaha 150 TXR? Two stroke carb engine for ~8K. Might be able to reuse my rigging, prop and all.

Does anyone have performance #'s for this engine?

Thanks!

captainhalfast

Reaction score
same boat

I repowered 4 years ago w/ a new suzuki df140. Everyone said it would under power a 206G - WRONG, I doubled my fuel economy on plane (4+MPG) had a OMC 175 (PIG) ---800 hours so far and not a hiccup. Just saw one for sale on the RI craigslist w/ controls (07) for $6700 (great deal). fits nice on the bracket.
Sooo quiet. tops out at 38mph. does 24mph @ 4000rpm (kinda high but doesnt sound struggling. Im on a mooring and so can NEVER flush this motor but I replace all (8!) zincs every year. It trims COMPLETLY out of the water. Where this motor really shines is traveling at 6-8 mph w/near silent motor getting 7-8+ MPG w/ NO smell. (I Fish - not a speed demon.) This motor changed everything about boating. approx 400# so doesnt sink transom either :D

BigI

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! To tell the truth I'm very happy w/ the speed of my boat w/ the 150 2s. That's why I'd consider replacing it w/ the new one.

bc282

Reaction score
v6 150hp HPDI is a very good engine. strong, light, very little smoke and good on fuel.
not as quiet at low rpms compared to a new 4s engine but the 150-200 HPDI are a very reliable power plant for significantly less $ than a 4s engine. IMO the 150hp 4s which is a 4cyl engine is a nice engine, but the power of the v6 is very nice.

IMO, you should be able to find a lightly used low hour HPDI (you can go 150 or 200 as it's the same weight) for less than $8k pretty easily.