Repower 330

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2003 Express 330 which is going to be repowered this winter. I'd love to go with 300's, but as the hull is technically rated for 500, the dealers I've spoken to are hesitant/won't install those. I know a bunch of others have gone with the 300's on the older hulls, and I'm wondering how they were able to get a dealer to install? I've discussed with insurance already, and they will cover it, as long as it is done by a "reputable" dealer.

While I've chatted behind the scenes with a few other owners, and I know that the actual perfomance difference between the two 4.2l blocks is minimal, I believe that when it comes to resale down the road, the boat will move faster with 300's. There is only about a 3k difference to me at this point, which is in reason.

Reactions: Chutch

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My understanding is that there was no change in the hull between 2003 and 2004 when they upped the rating to 600HP. Maybe you can get that confirmed by Grady and make the dealers more comfortable?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for replying. I have spent a ton of time here and with Google looking for information, and have found multiple references to people who have contacted Grady for this reason, and have zero reason to expect that I'd be the first one who was officially told it was ok.

I have found others who are under the same understanding that no changes were made when the rating was changed.

With so many people here who have 2003 and earlier 330's with 300's it seems unlikely that no one was the owner when the repower was done..

HMBJack

Reaction score
Regardless if the boat's transom can truly handle HP in excess of the manufacturer's spec., you will likely have a hard time insuring it. But don't take my word on this. Check with your insurance contact. I would make my decision based on that.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I repowered a 2003 330, but chose to stay with the Yamaha 4.2L F250 instead of the F300. At the time, the price differential was a lot greater, and I also noted that the performance increase for the 330's was pretty minimal. Additionally I have no plan to ever sell this boat ;)

I agree that Grady is unlikely to give the OK to put 600HP on a 2003 hull, but it if they confirmed no actual design change between 2003 and 2004, that would make me comfortable in going with 300's. But personally I would have no qualms going with 300's assuming my insurance company did not object.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Regardless if the boat's transom can truly handle HP in excess of the manufacturer's spec., you will likely have a hard time insuring it. But don't take my word on this. Check with your insurance contact. I would make my decision based on that.
he already mentioned that he spoke with his insurance company

Reactions: teaklejr and kirk a

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
you could always get 250s and get the nizpro tune. that way you dont have to deal with the headache from the dealer. i think they will actually go up to 332 hp. just let the insurer know

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The only difference I can see between the two years is a slight increase in weight of 500 lbs, which I heard GW did that around this time to the stern of their boats to accommodate for larger, heavier 4 stroke motors. I'm kind of surprised a shop would turn away business essentially and actually check all of those things out with maximum horsepower and so forth, especially if the insurance company themselves say it's fine with them.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
At this point, I believe I'm set and will be hanging 300's over the winter. Going with Digital controls, but not digital steering - as I have zero need for a future joystick, and the sea star works fine. The other question I had, is also resolved, as we will be going with the updated version of the 4 round gauges, so I'll not have to worry about the holes in the helm panel. Not going to get the 5" LCD screen which is a blessing, as there does not seem to be any place for it to go on the helm area.

Reactions: Chutch

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
At this point, I believe I'm set and will be hanging 300's over the winter. Going with Digital controls, but not digital steering - as I have zero need for a future joystick, and the sea star works fine. The other question I had, is also resolved, as we will be going with the updated version of the 4 round gauges, so I'll not have to worry about the holes in the helm panel. Not going to get the 5" LCD screen which is a blessing, as there does not seem to be any place for it to go on the helm area.
I'm surprised you ran into shops hesitant to hang 300s on such a big boat, but yeah, as you pointed out, grady will say no. (and potentially with good reason, doubly so since the transom on half of these is rotting away) Down here in FL I had no shortage of shops who would have been happy to hang 350s but that was past my comfort zone.

I just repowered mine for the second time with F300s, same setup as you describe, although I probably would have done digital steering if I hadn't gotten a great deal on the motors.

I'd question the 4 round gauges - there's plenty of room for the LCD screen (I mounted mine below and to the left of the steering wheel) and replacing the curved panel at the top of the helm is cake and there are companies out there that already have the template. No reason not to modernize the gauges while you're at it.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There were 4 round gauges before, now three round gauges do the job. The new round gauges will fit perfectly, so you'll need to fill the fourth hole. I decided to add a Sitex temp gauge. It fits perfectly and, being a fisherman, I like the visibility of the added temp gauge. I also like that the gauge uses an up/down arrow to depict temperature trend. You do need to install a temp probe through the hull.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm surprised you ran into shops hesitant to hang 300s on such a big boat, but yeah, as you pointed out, grady will say no. (and potentially with good reason, doubly so since the transom on half of these is rotting away) Down here in FL I had no shortage of shops who would have been happy to hang 350s but that was past my comfort zone.

I just repowered mine for the second time with F300s, same setup as you describe, although I probably would have done digital steering if I hadn't gotten a great deal on the motors.

I'd question the 4 round gauges - there's plenty of room for the LCD screen (I mounted mine below and to the left of the steering wheel) and replacing the curved panel at the top of the helm is cake and there are companies out there that already have the template. No reason not to modernize the gauges while you're at it.

Any chance of a picture of how you added the LCD screen?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Any chance of a picture of how you added the LCD screen?

I can do better than that, I can show you two different locations, as I haven't gotten around to removing the old gauge yet. LOL.

With the previous owner's repower, he put the digital gauge (circa 2013) into the 'center brow' at the top of the helm. This was great for visibility, but I'm 5'11 and reaching this gauge to actually hit the buttons or navigate the screen was difficult at best. It isn't something you do often, but it still seemed silly to me.

With my new location (under the wheel) the visibility is slightly worse, BUT I can easily navigate the touchscreen sitting or standing.

In reality, I've got two 12" garmins which are also networked in (it's a cheap $29 J1939 cable), and when I am cruising any distance, I usually have charts on the left and a 12" engine gauge on the right. When I troll, I swap the engine gauge for the sounder. With everything hooked together, when an alarm goes off, it is impossible to miss. When you use the J1939 cable with the garmins, the chartplotter has a screen that pops up which is 90% identical to the yamaha gauge.

Either of these locations would work fine. New wire marine has the template for the curved center brow and can make you a new one with any, or no, hole cutouts you want. The fuel gauge in mine is for the generator, I'll prob move that into the cabin or maybe even onto the rear bulkhead over the winter, and then make the brow strictly cosmetic.

Also, the new yamaha guage is just a rebranded garmin unit - when I get around to it, I'll upgrade the existing autopilot display (left-top) to the newer garmin autopilot, and then those two gauges will be visually identical.

Attachments

• helm1.JPG
    helm1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 44
  • helm2.JPG
    helm2.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Many thanks.

that space on mine seems to be occupied by the windlass controls.

IMG_6246.jpeg
Not 100% sure there is room next to the drink holder.

my screens are raymarine, not garmin.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you are going with yamaha, then get the 250's and flash them as the other guy suggested... of course try it out first and you may find you don't need it.

I was torn on the gauges. In the end I bought a newer 12" simrad and had them link it with the mercury engines. I like having all that data and control right in my face instead on that forward dash panel. I also toyed with adding a smaller vesselview 5" or 7" or whatever screen but unless I mounted it to a pod sticking off the side or moved my thruster/ stereo/searchlight controls/windlass, I was not fitting it in the dash.

a cheap piece of black pvc/acrylic solved the forward dash problem too. the factory face plate on that makes a perfect template. cut with fine tooth jigsaw and and sand the edges... and only your hairdresser will know!

I wanted to use the one new display for engine data only and didn't want have to use the one remaining MFD for charts, radar, and fish finding. The Simrad I bought for the engines only replaced an older raymarine C series. I moved that up to the radio compartment in the hard top and it only gets used for fish finding and video image for night camera.

Attachments

• dash grady1.jpg
    dash grady1.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 18
  • grady dash2 .jpg
    grady dash2 .jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
you could always get 250s and get the nizpro tune. that way you dont have to deal with the headache from the dealer. i think they will actually go up to 332 hp. just let the insurer know
Interesting approach. Does the Yamaha engine retain information on updates and ECU re-flashes? The Nizpro tune would, I assume, void the engine warranty (both the power head and the lower unit). Most new cars these days it is very difficult to reflash or even substitute the ECU without an electronic trail except for a piggyback style tune, true as well for OB motor? If you have an engine issue that prevents re-flashing before Yamaha investigates a warranty claim, that’s an issue as well.

Interested in the answer here, I have a 2021 F200 that I would love to reflash with Nizpro to 231hp but have a factory extended warranty.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Interesting approach. Does the Yamaha engine retain information on updates and ECU re-flashes? The Nizpro tune would, I assume, void the engine warranty (both the power head and the lower unit). Most new cars these days it is very difficult to reflash or even substitute the ECU without an electronic trail except for a piggyback style tune, true as well for OB motor? If you have an engine issue that prevents re-flashing before Yamaha investigates a warranty claim, that’s an issue as well.

Interested in the answer here, I have a 2021 F200 that I would love to reflash with Nizpro to 231hp but have a factory extended warranty.

I bet a spare ecu would solve that issue. Swap the factory one back if you need service.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I bet a spare ecu would solve that issue. Swap the factory one back if you need service.

Yes that would I have one car where that is possible and had another car (same manufacturer) where the ECU swap was recorded elsewhere.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
@Flot followup question: what would going to the LCD touch screen provide that the plain ole gauges won't?