Repower for our 2001 Express 275

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Mustang - very cool to have a car you had as a teen! And, for the record, this is just off-season banter with no offense meant nor taken. That said, the correlation with the example would be knowing what kind of fuel the motor takes. Just like you'd know if you put gas or diesel in your car (or at least why it broke down if you got it wrong) you'd know if you have to tank up the 2-stroke oil or not.

And yes, the model years got confusing and they went to serial number designation instead which I had to learn just last year on my new to me Gulfstream with twin v6 200's. The boat's a 2008. The motors, according to serial number, were manufactured in 2007. When I bought the boat those motors only had 132 hours on them (freshwater Lake Billy Chinook use of all things - badass offshore boat used for a Kokanee barge and I proceeded to add a couple hundred more in the second half of last season.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 2024 car in 2023 .

no difference
Indeed. They do that with just about everything today where you can buy the next year model in the latter part of the current year. Just like you did with your vehicle, and just like Ford did with the mustang 60 years ago, just like they still do to this day. Though again, it sounds like Yamaha might've gotten away from doing that, or at least it sounds like they don't put a date code on their outboards anymore.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang - very cool to have a car you had as a teen! And, for the record, this is just off-season banter with no offense meant nor taken. That said, the correlation with the example would be knowing what kind of fuel the motor takes. Just like you'd know if you put gas or diesel in your car (or at least why it broke down if you got it wrong) you'd know if you have to tank up the 2-stroke oil or not.
If someone didn't know what year their boat, car or whatever is... I wouldn't exactly have all that much faith in them that they'd realize they have to fill up the oilers on the 2 strokes every so often as well. I imagine that like with everything else in life that there are those casual boaters who know nothing about their boats in terms of maintenance, upkeep, the mechanics of it and so forth. I also imagine there are a lot of guys out there who just want to turn the key and go, so they have their dealer or mechanic do everything for them. Not saying that's the case with the OP, though again as stated above I would be willing to bet more than a few people didn't realize they had 2 stroke HPDI's vs 4 strokes. And I'm sure some of those guys had no idea what the oil reservoirs in the back were for, or if they even knew they were there in general. Either way, no offense taken, just conversing on mostly the topic at hand.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Date of manufacture on engine is 08/01 ..
Looking up Yamaha on Boat.net parts lookup. Seems that the first F200 was a 2002 model. Likely manufacture in 2001.
They have all gotten away from "model years". The "model" number used to have a date code letter. They don't do that anymore(2005 was last year for date code) They just have a mfg date. They'll sell a 2021 mfg'd motor in 2024 as brand new as long as the model number didn't change and it has never been sold yet.

You are the first 2000-2002 265 I've heard of with F200s! They've all had OX66 225s or 200 HPDIs that I've seen.
The Max HP listed on 2000-2002 was 450HP. They changed the hull in 2003 to better accomodate the heavier 4 strokes and upped it to 500HP.

Lots of posts here about 265s Do a Tag search on 265 Express.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You are the first 2000-2002 265 I've heard of with F200s! They've all had OX66 225s or 200 HPDIs that I've seen.
The Max HP listed on 2000-2002 was 450HP. They changed the hull in 2003 to better accomodate the heavier 4 strokes and upped it to 500HP.
That is incorrect on the maximum horsepower... all brochures between 2000-2005 show a maximum horsepower of 500 hp for the 265 Express.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Wow you have the first 265 I have ever seen with original f200's. When I bought my 265 pretty much everything pre 2002 had 200 hpdi's. Some were also sold with either 225 or 250 ox66's as they were the biggest engines Yamaha made at the time. The hull change was made in 2002 when the f225's were released as my 02 had the raised scuppers and the f225's. The change in 03 was the seat backs for the bench seats. Grady usually changes the boats to correspond with the debut of the new Yamaha engines. for example, they redesigned the 330 in 2008 when the f350s came out.

All of this doesn't really matter as its time for a repower. There are good options and lots of data from people who have repowered these boats. I would make my decision on available engines, and local dealer support. If you decide to stick with Yamaha don't keep the old controls replace everything with new and go digital.

BTW, you have the nicest bang plate I have ever seen on a 20 + year old Grady.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
That is incorrect on the maximum horsepower... all brochures between 2000-2005 show a maximum horsepower of 500 hp for the 265 Express.

heheh you are correct...Its right there in my manual. I must be repeating a mistake I think I heard once. Usually I check my facts before posting so as to not get embarrassed. Dammit....

and I thought the hull change happened in 2003 but dbratts says 2002. Maybe its another case of mid year production changes?

• Haha
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We have a 2001 Express 265 with 2001 200 hp yamaha four strokes .
Approximately 1,300 hrs
Run great but concerned about reliability when we often go 50 + miles offshore

ready to upgrade . looking at 250 Yamahas . I’m concerned the 200 four cylinder would not have the torque I have with my 6 cylinder 200 s I have .

from what I see , weight on the new 250 is slightly less than what I have now .

Appreciate any advice…
merc v8 250 is also pretty light, not much more than your current 3.3L yamahas. If the boat is rated for 500hp, those engines would make it very fun. Lots of torque. you'd also gain some transom room. tall and skinny engines vs. the 3.3. I just replaced 3.3L 225 yam four strokes with 300 verados and you can walk between the engines now. while your'e at it, grab some 300hp ecus and turn up the wick! lol

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
heheh you are correct...Its right there in my manual. I must be repeating a mistake I think I heard once. Usually I check my facts before posting so as to not get embarrassed. Dammit....

and I thought the hull change happened in 2003 but dbratts says 2002. Maybe its another case of mid year production changes?
2004 was when they switched from a 15" hull draft to an 18" hull draft. The brochures are a wealth of information...

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
"The brochures are a wealth of information..." As are you Mustang. A semi-retirement idea would be a research service for boat brokers and insurers :cool:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"The brochures are a wealth of information..." As are you Mustang. A semi-retirement idea would be a research service for boat brokers and insurers :cool:
Lol at 38 years old? Probably not anytime in the distant future. And even still, literally all of this information from the manufacturer is on their website. It just needs a few minutes to access and research it, no research service is needed. Or really anything even close to it...

Last edited: