Repower for Seafarer 228

RIVERTEC_FISH

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I'm on the hunt to repower my seafarer 228, thoughts. Max power is 250hp for my year

Would anybody consider honda over suzuki, or do the zukes superior? I have plenty of options for service around me and both are same price and wait for install. My boat came with an older 225hp suzuki

Grady Whtie Seafarer 228.jpg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's going on with the current Suzuki that you've got on the boat? Not fixable? Just wanting more power? I personally would go with the Suzuki DF250AP that has the digital throttle controls as opposed to mechanical. Both the Honda and the Suzuki have a 5 year warranty on them, though the Honda 250 weighs 622 lbs, the mechanical Suzuki 250 weighs 606 lbs and the digital Suzuki weighs 639 lbs.

RIVERTEC_FISH

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
What's going on with the current Suzuki that you've got on the boat? Not fixable? Just wanting more power? I personally would go with the Suzuki DF250AP that has the digital throttle controls as opposed to mechanical. Both the Honda and the Suzuki have a 5 year warranty on them, though the Honda 250 weighs 622 lbs, the mechanical Suzuki 250 weighs 606 lbs and the digital Suzuki weighs 639 lbs.

The current motor is fine without issues just old (2008) I will be going into the pacific and just want peace of mind. Plus I can trade in this motor for a decent credit. Ive been leaning torwards a 250 suzuki personally also.

Reactions: Rich63

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have a 228 and re-powered with a Yami 250 SHO
Great on gas and zero hole shot.
Best decision I ever made.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One issue/consideration with the Yamaha 250 SHO would be that it requires a minimum of 89 octane fuel. Which some marinas might not have, as well as that will cost more than the standard 87 octane. I suppose you could probably use an octane booster, but I personally would much rather pay less money for the Suzuki, or other, and not have to worry about using a higher octane fuel. Just my opinion, of course.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same boat a 2004 - have a Suzuki DF250AP bought in January 2019 and believe the user manual indicated mid grade and that is what's been used.

Engine has 370 hours and all is well. - seem to average two mpg at speeds between 20 and 30 MPH- boat has bottom paint. Go out in the Pacific as well.

Understand the safety issue and the credit may make this a good decision.

steve

Reactions: RIVERTEC_FISH

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Honda/Suzuki/mercury/Yamaha all have excellent reputations. I don’t think you will be unhappy whichever way you go, and you will enjoy the little extra hp

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Interesting how the DF225T/DF250T and even the smaller AP units like the DF200AP can use 87 octane but for some reason they don't recommend it on the DF250AP.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just looked it up in the user manual and it did say 89 - that's what i've been using from the start.

Sure would like to use regular and save forty cents a gallon but just think what ruining the engine would cost.

Have not been out for a long time because of the rain and winds but went out Friday and caught my first halibut of 2023 near the San Rafael Bridge near SF.

steve

isurus22

Reaction score
I Repowered my seafarer 228 with a Honda 225. It’s a 2003 and I take it 40 plus miles offshore. I actually trust it more than the newer engines on my other boat. I guess I don’t see the logic in replacing something that is trustworthy and reliable. I know lots of people with brand new motors that had problems in the first few hours,. I would be more afraid to take a brand new engine out offshore before the bugs are worked out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Sukes are nice if you have local service. Prob the most competitive price wise as well.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I’d post pictures but everytime I try it says that the file is too large

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FWIW......In my circle Yami's seem to be first choice, with everything else second.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Out here in the Seattle area the Yamaha's and Honda's definitely seem like they're the most popular, then probably Mercury and last would be Suzuki. Up until a couple years ago, I didn't even realize that Suzuki was still making outboards as they just aren't hardly seen at all out here and they don't make very many vehicles anymore. Then, a buddy of mine bought a boat from a local boat company in Seattle called Wooldridge, of which I've met the owner Grant a few times before. I guess he was saying that Grant recommends Suzuki as the top choice of outboards for all of the boats that he sells because of the pricing, the warranty, customer service and so on. After hearing that, doing a little research, comparing prices and so on... that was about all it took for me to want to go with them for a re-power, if/when I ever need to. It's kind of like brands of downriggers, in the Seattle area here you see pretty much 9/10 boats with Scotty brand downriggers on them. I guess up in the Great Lakes and elsewhere throughout the midwest they love Cannon downriggers as I believe they're produced in Minnesota, and I think that's a big part of why Scotty's are so popular here as they're made just north of us up in BC, Canada eh.

Last edited:

RIVERTEC_FISH

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I think they are all reliable, Honda's are the heavier with old tech less low end power ect, yamaha's are #1 but unavaiable, seems like Suzuki is the right choice and I already have the controlls plus they are the only brand with a timing chain, with greay performance. I'm pretty sure I'll just get the new 250hp Suzuki with a new 9.9 and let her rip!!

I was pressured by the honda dealer a bit, thanks for the info!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d post pictures but everytime I try it says that the file is too large
There are a few apps on your phone to where you can reduce the files of the pictures there, or if it's on your computer you can do a Google search for it as well. A quick and easy method that I've used before is to email the picture to yourself and when you do it on an iPhone, you can select the size of the photo that you want to send.