repower from johnson to yamaha

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am considering repowering to a 200 yamaha from a 225 johnson. My question is what would I have to do aside from swapping out the controls and the ignition switch. I have hydraulic steering on the boat would that just bolt up ? Also the mounting holes to mount the engine would they have to be re-drilled? The engine I am considering is a 1990 200 to replace my 1987 225 which basically needs a power head rebuild plus. Any advice would be apperciated.

no problem

Reaction score
You would need to check the steering cylinder. If it's sea star hydraulic they list 2 different steering cylinders for those motors. The mounting holes in the transom should be the same. Seems like a lot of effort to install another motor that's old enough that you are going to be reluctant to put repair money into. Just my $.02 Good luck with it!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're talking quite a bit of $ to change over for a motor that may not have that much life left. If you can do the work yourself and can get the contols and the oil tank with the motor for a good price you have a good winter project but if you are having the work done I wouldn't advise it.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters..I think that there are better alternatives for you. As mentioned,your going to incur a lot of expense re rigging for a yamaha (gauges, controls etc) not to mention going down in a bit in horsepower. Maybe a rebuilt powerhead or a later model used would be a better choice. Of course if you are doing all the work and the 20 year old engine is free, never mind ! Good luck whatever you decide.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The yamaha is for sale for 1500.00 and supposedly has 378 hours on it, didn't seem to bad to me. We are considering moving up to a used gulfstream so I just wanted a quick fix so if we decided to sell I would have a good motor for the boat. If nothing else we could use it for next season. Can't see spending to much to repower a 1982 boat.

no problem

Reaction score
Re: re power from johnson to yamaha

That sounds a little better. $1500 to get your boat sellable and maybe get some use while you're shopping for another model seems reasonable. It adds up fast though, probably $500 just for the steering cylinder. Maybe just sell your rig to a bargain hunter and move on. The hassle saved probably has some value to it. Good luck with it and let us know what you decide to do.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Being a '90 you don't know how many hours are on it. If it's a fresh water engine and it came with gagues go for it otherwise you don't know what you're getting into. The shift rod is not stainless and is known to rust. It cannot be changed without removing the powerhead and you don't know how many bolts will snap. If you aren't sure how long you want to keep the boat, get another running Johnson. Even if the motor costs more you'll save money.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like that idea, make sure motor when idling in water has no knock to it and compression is good. You will not hear knocks out of water. T&T and motor shifts and stays in gear (can do that in driveway). If motor for sale not demonstratable, just drop price accordingly if still interested. Offer half what is asking.

No knock is a good knock.

You will have to spend more than that on everything else if sale does include it, you need at least the preferred multi-function tach, key sw, controls, mech and elec cables, and oil tank.
Not likely to find those used for sale. Very expensive new. May need new hydraulic cylinder kit, also not cheap.

Yamaha mounts in exact same holes as OMC does.

To sell boat, perhaps you should find a used OMC as everything else will work, it doesn't matter at all when selling, Yami or not, as long as it gets boat out there.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice. To stick with an OMC makes sense dollar wise and labor wise. I am going to check out re-building what I have. As a side note ,what would the value of 82 Tournament with a bad motor be?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Relative to the boat, the motor has little value, so offer it motor needing work or no motor. It wil be your least cost option if selling, no good if keeping for a while. Don't worry about sea trail, can sell the boat right in driveway, did my 204C, with good motor too.
It's a Grady!

Some buyers in such a vintage have their (newer) own motor and would dump any older motor anyway, as they are looking for another boat.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, if I put it up for sale what number should I expect to get for it? (can you give me a ballpark number?)

mashenden

Reaction score
gradywhiteman said:
Thanks guys for the advice. To stick with an OMC makes sense dollar wise and labor wise. I am going to check out re-building what I have. As a side note ,what would the value of 82 Tournament with a bad motor be?

Of course it depends on condition and equipment, but NADA values an '82 Tournament hull with a bimini and depthfinder but no motor as follows: Low = $2480 and Avg = $2775. The engine may be worth a couple of hundred if you advertise "for parts".

Craigslist is a good place to advertise as is this forum in the Buy/Sell section.

One key webiste I often use to get an estimated value (and used for the above noted estimates) is nadaguides.com. Looking on webistes that sell boats is another good way to find what they are selling for (or at least what people hope they are selling for).