Repower Gulfstream 232

darkarcher

Reaction score
I am faced with making a decision about repowering or buying another boat.

I have a Gulfstream 232 the wide one. The boat has been a great boat. It has twin yamaha 150's (1993).

Here is my current situation, the boat lives in the lower keys, I only get to spend a couple of weeks a year actually using the boat, so it sits alot. Each year I have to do some maintenance prior to my trip. I usually have the carbs checked out and tune as needed etc. Last summer the port engine lost the lower unit and I am going to have to replace it. that got me to thinking about repowering or selling this boat and finding one with newer engines. I live in MS so I have been looking in places along my path to the keys. I will be headed down end of june and am really just open to suggestions about what some realistic options are.

I have seen newer GW 232's in the low to mid 30's, I would really like to avoid spending that much but that is my top end for sure, bottom end would be making the repair and the maintenance for a couple of grand.

Thoughts/Ideas/Recommendations gladly (or not so gladly) accepted.

THANKS!!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
For two weeks a year's use, I would spend no more than you have to and fix the existing problems with your current engines.

I think repowering would be warranted if you were able to spend more time using the boat.

billyttpd

Reaction score
2 weeks = 14days. If it costs say 3500 to repair your boat the repair figures to 250 a day...3500 divided 14 ways.... a 35000 dollar boat is costing you 2500 a day...both equations are lessened over time but for that one year thats how it figures. I would go with the repair... Im sorry to hear you have to shell out the low figure let alone the high one. .. either way ya go good luck and smooth sailing. I would take the less expensive option personally