Repower/keep 24 or go bigger?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some words of wisdom. Currently running an 88 24’ offshore with an 07 225 etec with approx. 900 hours. Motor runs flawlessly and has been that way the last 3 seasons I’ve owned it. I mostly fish inshore and in the bay but have the itch to venture further out. I’m hesitant to run out further than 10 miles with a single. I’d be less worried if I had a newer motor and I’d be very confident with a twin engine setup.

That being said, I’m considering two options. Sell my etec and repower with either new Merc 3.4 225 ( 475 Lbs which is lighter than my etec) or 250 4.2 Yamaha. Before doing so I have plans on redoing my transom and closing it in alittle. Never liked the huge cut out.

Other option is getting into a used 26 islander or 27 sailfish and selling my rig. I’ve found a few boats in the late 90’s of each model that have been repowered within the last 10 years for under 35k. I like the islander because it’s still trailerable and I would trailer it out to montauk a few times each summer. Looking for opinions on what you’d do and also any experience with each of those models.

I am a Marine tech by trade and work full time at a Marina. So service and storage fortunately isn’t a factor here. Thanks guys!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I was in a similar point in my boating/fishing life last year.

I was running an old 84 Wellcraft V20 with a 2004 4 stroke 140. I routinely ran that out 20 miles wreck fishing in the Mud Hole.
I was venturing farther and farther. Several times a season, perfect weather permitting, I ran 60 miles to Chicken Canyon for tuna and mahi.
It was great to do that roundtrip on 40 gallons. I was debating doing a complete restore on the V20 and a new 150. I had already poured a new transom.

We also ran a 23CC SeaHunt with a single 250 4 stroke out to the jersey canyons, in perfect weather. It was great to do that on less than 100 gallons.

Because we really want to do more canyon fishing, we decided to step up to a 265 express with twin 225 2 strokes.
The fishability, comfort and safety are the big plus. The 220 gallon trips are a big downer. And double the dockage and maintenance.

Your 24 is getting old but if you haven't had recurring problems and breakdowns, I would suggest venturing out with it and figure out if that is really the direction you want to go.
Pick your days and get out to the 20 fathom line. That is way more than enough boat. Do some wreck fishing, some sharking, maybe find some bluefin. Maybe push it to the 30 fathom line. I would not sweat the single power too much if it is reliable and you are picking your days wisely.

You might find you like it out there and like the change in fishing species and tactics. Or maybe you find you don't feel comfortable leaving the beach over the horizon.
Then you can make an informed decision.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Skunk gave some good tips. For what it is worth I routinely fish 30-40 off in my 228 and have taken it to the Bahamas a couple times plus the Dry Tortuga's. The boat is big enough when you pick your days.

Now here is another thought. Your boat is not the CV2 hull. Not saying it's a bad ride but the CV2 hull is better than the old running bottom. So, if you do get an Islander not only do you get a few more feet but you get the variable dead rise hull.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Good information/advice guys appreciate it. Exactly what I’m looking for. For how I currently fish/use the boat I couldn’t think of a more perfect setup. It’s those days where it’s bigger than 2-3’s out and the fishing is great that I would want the bigger setup. I have a Few friends/customers with Downeast style boats that make frequent runs to the canyon and they always offer to take me just never worked out time wise.

I have ALOT of sweat equity into this boat. That’s the only real thing making it hard to sell it. Wiring is basically all new, new electronics, fuel tank, windlass, electronic head/tank, all new starboard replacing old teak, and currently just finished recording the floor hatches and the starboard side floor. Have to lay down some new non skid/paint.

Lots of time into this boat. If I were to get a larger one I’m sure I would do the same with it since I’m very picky with how everything works/looks.

Anyways lots to think about and look forward to some more comments.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've been wrestling with a similar decision, but for other reasons. What I fear is that I will regret moving up because of the additonal maintenace and over-all PIA of a bigger boat, another engine, and another set of trailer brakes (I like to trailer, but currently rack for my Dad). I often wonder the hastle of another engine is overblown until I have repair on my single!

Since you know your boat so well, why not consider picking up a low hour set of twins and keep what you have? Many frown upon repowering an older hull, but if you plan to put a lot of hours on it, the investment will be worth it. However, if you aren't thrilled about what you have now, I wouldn't do it.