Repower my 1999 sailfish

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I own a 1999 Grady White 272 sailfish with two 1998 225hp evinrude 2 stroke engines that needs to be replaced. Are there any problems associated with the boat's performance if i replace the 2 stroke engines with a heaver 4 stroke 250hp Suzuki engines?
I prefer Suzuki but some friends advice me to pot Mercury or Yamaha for better performance now I’m lost and need more information if someone installed 250hp 4 stroke Suzuki on same boat. 390FB4EB-4D61-4A8F-84A8-138407EE849E.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
Get the weight for the old motors and the weight for whatever model you want to compare. Subtract to get the added weight, let's say it's 300 pounds ( a number I plucked out of the air). Noe get two friends whose weight adds up to about the same number. Have them sit or stand as far aft as practical. That is how the hull will sit with new motors. You would rather that the scuppers stay above the water line. You can also go fro a ride with your buddies aft. Although the performance comparisons won't be all that exact due to different motor characteristics, it may show you some undesirable things like angle to plane etc.
I suppose someone with actual experience with a repower would be a better source of info than my suggestion.

Reactions: One_kuw

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get the weight for the old motors and the weight for whatever model you want to compare. Subtract to get the added weight, let's say it's 300 pounds ( a number I plucked out of the air). Noe get two friends whose weight adds up to about the same number. Have them sit or stand as far aft as practical. That is how the hull will sit with new motors. You would rather that the scuppers stay above the water line. You can also go fro a ride with your buddies aft. Although the performance comparisons won't be all that exact due to different motor characteristics, it may show you some undesirable things like angle to plane etc.
I suppose someone with actual experience with a repower would be a better source of info than my suggestion.

Thanks it’s good idea I will try it , sorry I didn’t mention the engines , i’m looking to buy ( 2019 250hp Suzuki ( weight 604 lb) and my engines 225hp 1998 evinrude (weight 455 lb) weight different is (149 lb) for one engine and for two engines the total weight added ( 298 lb)

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks it’s good idea I will try it , sorry I didn’t mention the engines , i’m looking to buy ( 2019 250hp Suzuki ( weight 604 lb) and my engines 225hp 1998 evinrude (weight 455 lb) weight different is (149 lb) for one engine and for two engines the total weight added ( 298 lb)

Wow, I would like to think that it my picking a number like 300 pounds was based on my broad knowledge. Truth is that is was purely a guess and I was off by 2 pounds to boot!

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow, I would like to think that it my picking a number like 300 pounds was based on my broad knowledge. Truth is that is was purely a guess and I was off by 2 pounds to boot!
perfect , i think that much of weight will not make a big difference especially when i remove the evinrude engines oil containers and usually My reserve fuel tank is empty, but i must try to add some weight to check what will happen before purchasing new engines

seasick

Reaction score
The oil tanks will not make nearly as much difference as the extra motor weight. Now depending on where the tanks are, the balance of the boat might be impacted, especially if you batteries are one one side aft and the oil on the other side. Oil weighs about 7 pounds a gallon.
Just mentioning so that you have something else to ponder:)

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I laughed at the dual CR cowling designation myself. They must come as a set...

Last edited:

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The oil tanks will not make nearly as much difference as the extra motor weight. Now depending on where the tanks are, the balance of the boat might be impacted, especially if you batteries are one one side aft and the oil on the other side. Oil weighs about 7 pounds a gallon.
Just mentioning so that you have something else to ponder:)
I have 4 batteries ‍ ، i will take some friends and let them stand near to the engines and check the water level , grady white customer service said the maximum 450 for my boat

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why not go with new Evinrude Etec G2's?
Same weight or less, NO oil changes, NO break-in, MORE torgue, and BETTER MPG....and View attachment 13158they look cooler too ;)

I live in Kuwait the Evinrude Great engines but unfortunately worst dealer we have here is the Evinrude dealer he don’t have the Evinrude 2 strike engine oil also the parts we order most of them from the US by ebay or amazon i use mercury oil for my engines

Last edited:

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
by the way, why are BOTH your old motors "counter rotating"?...only the Port should be.
They aren’t check the impeller I bought them like this and i think the previous owner repainted them , but they are fine

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Suzuki DF250AP( fly by wire/ digital interface) is 640 pounds. DF250 is 606 pounds.... the old model, mechanical controls, no digital data...
Consider the DF200APs 540 pounds. Less weight, you'll get all the latest technolgy and they'll cost a lot less and push that boat just fine.

You're going to want new digital guages and controls. Why by mechanical?..like buying a new car without bluetooth....

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Suzuki DF250AP( fly by wire/ digital interface) is 640 pounds. DF250 is 606 pounds.... the old model, mechanical controls, no digital data...
Consider the DF200APs 540 pounds. Less weight, you'll get all the latest technolgy and they'll cost a lot less and push that boat just fine.

You're going to want new digital guages and controls. Why by mechanical?..like buying a new car without bluetooth....
Thanks , i sent to grady white customer service and they told me my maximum hp is 225hp and i think it’s fine like my Evinrude but thinking to get some extra 50hp will not make a big difference my only concern is the weight , also the Suzuki dealer gave me good price for 2019 engines less than Yamaha about 3700$ and mercury will pay more , thats why i’m thinking of Suzuki, you gave me good idea i will ask about DF200AP

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If I was you I would opt for Merc or Yamaha as they are much lighter than Zuks.
They are good engines but the price much more than Zusuki that why i’m thinking of Suzuki , my only concern is the weight i will try to add some weight near to my engines and check if it will handle it or not

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If your boat is rated max 450hp, is it wise to install 500hp?
I don't know about where you are but I wouldn't do it here, may run into insurance problems in the future.
One of the reasons Zukes are heavier, they have offset driveshaft with a reduction gear on the top and due to the gearing you need a bigger pitch prop as well. One small advantage because of the offset driveshaft you have less of the engine hanging over the rear of the transom.

One_kuw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If your boat is rated max 450hp, is it wise to install 500hp?
I don't know about where you are but I wouldn't do it here, may run into insurance problems in the future.
One of the reasons Zukes are heavier, they have offset driveshaft with a reduction gear on the top and due to the gearing you need a bigger pitch prop as well. One small advantage because of the offset driveshaft you have less of the engine hanging over the rear of the transom.
I live in Kuwait , there is no insurance problem if i pot higher hp engines just i need to take agreement from the coast guard i asked for 225hp Suzuki like my Evinrude unfortunately the dealer just have 200hp and 250hp more horsepower if i need them my only problem now is the weight of the engines, we are in quarantine will end after two weeks i will be able to go out and check how is my sailfish will handle the extra weight .