Repower of 2000 Marlin

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been looking at a 2000 Marlin powered with twin 2000 250 EFIs. I hate the thought of going backward in technologey from my current 2004 225F.
Has anyone repowered twin EFIs to twin four stroke 250F. The current 250s are supposedly in good condition - any trade in value? Estimate of the cost of this upgrade?
Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You would prob get about 4-5k per engine if they are in good shape. You would not need instruments if you stick with yamaha, so you would be paying the remainder of the engine costs. You need to weight how often you are going to use the boat to decide if it makes sense to repower. If you need the extended range, that may be a factor as well. The 2 strokes EFI's will burn a little more fuel on that boat, but the difference is probably .1-.3mpg throughout your rpm range. Four strokes do not mean better fuel economy, but they are slightly better then the OX66 engines on fuel. Also, your 2 strokes will burn oil. If new engines are $16,000 each, and you get back $5000 per engine, your looking at roughly $22,000+ tax and installation. Are you going to burn enough fuel and oil to make it worth your money to repower that boat? If you are willing to spend that much money to repower, you have 2 alternatives, look for a boat with four stroke power that is roughly $20,000 more then the one you are currently looking at and save yourself the trouble of selling your engines and having the boat repowered, or buy the boat and run those engines into the ground, and when they are on their way out, then repower, by then there will be even newer technology and hopefully more fuel efficient motors. As much as I love my four strokes and agree it would be ahrd to go back to a two stroke, IMHO it would not be worth a repower unless the engines were in bad shape. Another alternative is to find low hour F250's for sale, but I'm not a fan of used engines in good shape, they shouldn't need to be repowered, and you never know what the previous owner did or didn't do with them.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gf22
Thanks for the response. The way I'm looking at this is a 2000 Marlin in real good shape for around 80K. trade the engines for 4 strokes and if your numbers are close we are talking about a pretty nice package for around 102K.
The question is can we now afford the gas to use it. My Gulfstream with a single engine is not horrible at the gas pump.
Thanks Again

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can check Grady's website to see roughly what the Marlin will get with F250's. I'm sure the Marlin will use more fuel then the Gulfstream since you are going from a single to twins, and the boat is much larger. You are probably getting about 2.2mpg(30mph) with the Gulfstream, the Marlin will be around 1.5mpg(30mph), F225's would get you to 1.7mpg(26mph), that may make more sense if fuel is a concern. You should expect your fuel bill to be 30% greater if you move up to the Marlin with four strokes, and about 35-40% more if you stuck with the EFI's.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the current engines are trustworthy, run them till they die or you don't feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe buying a used 4 stroke considering they will be at a premuim, why are they dumping them? people don't change the oil in their cars, so why would an outboard be any different?

Gary M

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
IMHO it would not be worth a repower unless the engines were in bad shape.

I agree. You can buy a LOT of gas for that extra $22-25k to upgrade.

I have a 2001 with 250 EFIs and I get about 1.15-1.2 Nmpg at 24-26 knots. Last year we blew an engine and were faced with a repower or total swap out for F250s and we wisely spent $6k for a Factory Re-Man powerhead and have not looked back since.

If you've got a clean, really nice boat, buy it and carefully run the EFIs into the dirt and then re-power. Keep in mind that it may take you many, many years before you wear them out!

2-3-4-5 years from now, there may be some much improved 4-strokes out there for you to move up to. In the mean time, set up a budget/savings plan to help you pay for the new engines when the time comes......

LaLa

Reaction score
REPOWER

I totally understand where your coming from. I just purchased my first Grady (248) last summer and was contemplating upgrading to a newer boat with four strokes. After doing the math and it coming down to a difference of 10% , I'll keep my HPDI's and spend the xtra cash on fishing gear and beer. I love my boat!!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just look for boats a couple of years younger than 2000, they will have 4 strokes, and have already taken the depreciation hit so you won't have to. Your probably talking $35k with existing controls & instruments, for new power.

Shady Grady

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Marlin with OX 66 250's, get about 1.1 mpg at cruise of around 28 mph on flat seas...I did some quick calcs for an upgrade to F250's and realised that at 200 miles per month if gas cost $4.00/gal then it takes about 8 years to break even at $5.00/gal (hope we don't get there) it takes a little over 5 years. I also assumed that the 2 stroke oil was an even trade for the 4 stroke oil and filter changes. I did not consider trade in value but you get the picture, run those 2 strokes into the ground or the sea as it may be. Who knows by the time you need to repower, technolgy may improve to the point that you can double your current fuel economy. That is my plan, my engines have around 800 hours, I expect at least three times that before they expire.