Repower of 282 Sailfish

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Early in 2020 I repowered my 2002 282 Sailfish with two Mercury 250HP Four Strokes. Unbelievable balance and power with these engines. With the 282 out of the water I also completed a complete refurbish, installed fuel filter water alarms, electric steering, digital throttle, wet sand/cut/polish of the hull, new Grady White decals, added a 3D sonar to the existing gadgets and upgraded the power electrics (mains, earth, busbars and circuit breakers and batteries) to sort our power problems I have had ever since adding my 2D sonar to the boat a decade ago. The boat has come up like new and after 60 hours use on these new engines and upgraded electrics I can say with certainty that I am very happy with the outcome.

I was impressed by Yamaha and I was almost convinced to go with Suzuki by my local mechanic who loves them, but I went Mercury V8.

Why did I go Mercury V8? I looked at all the other 4 Stroke engines on the market and they added substantial weight down the back of the boat. The Mercury 250HP V8 Four Stroke's are almost identical weight to the Yamaha 200HP HPDI 2 Stroke's that have been replaced. Equivalent Yamahas would have added over 350lbs to the back of my boat and the scuppers were at water level as they were, so more weight would have led to potential scupper problems and water in my boat especially with a few people fighting a fish down the back. The later model 282's had their scuppers raised by 1.5 inches to overcome the weight of new 4 stroke engines at that time, but these Merc V8's nearly 20 years later are as light as the original GW spec 2 strokes. Very pleased.

A lesson with the upgrade is that adding lots of modern gadgets to a basic old boat eventually overloads the amps drawn thru the old power system and the batteries simply overload and most of the problem is too small cables and circuit breakers heating up, replace these and all is fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_6017.JPG
    IMG_6017.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 15

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Awesome! I too think those are going to be great motors and the weight is spot on for replacing HPDI's. If I ever need to repower, it will be same motors but in 200hp version.
Let us know how they perform and overall experiences. Love to hear about them. So far, I haven't heard any negatives on these motors since they came out.

Reactions: LouisR

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I seriously considered the new Merc V6 225s before going with Suzuki. They look like great motors. I have not heard anything bad about them.
I went with Suzuki because the DF200AP has been around a long time, lower price, and immediate availability.

My hesitation is based on Verados. I know 3 people with brand new Verados that ruined the whole first season with problems. One guy has quads on a SeaVee and can't get thru a month without one giving a problem.

Hope to hear great fish stories ahead...

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are these new motors considered as Verados?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
These are new V8 engines NA 4.6lts , Merc have the same engine in V6 same cylinders as the V8 so about 3.4 lts . They are the lightest 4 strokes around . Nothing to do with the I6 supercharged 2.6 Verados. If I was to repower my 228 I would go for a Merc V8 300 hp.

LouisR
Looks like you are in Sydney, I can see the Anzac bridge in the background . Good to see another GW in Sydney. When I got my first 228 some 10 years ago it was very rare to see a GW in Sydney, these days I see them every time I go out .
Good luck with the engines , excellent choice ( personal opinion) they should give you many trouble free hours. I'll look out for you, it will be easy to spot you with the black engines on the transom.

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are these new motors considered as Verados?
No they are not Verados. The engine mount system on the Verados is very different and there are some differences between the way the V8 Verado and V8 Four Stroke is configured, but the V8 is a much more reliable platform than the supercharged V6 of the recent past.

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
These are new V8 engines NA 4.6lts , Merc have the same engine in V6 same cylinders as the V8 so about 3.4 lts . They are the lightest 4 strokes around . Nothing to do with the I6 supercharged 2.6 Verados. If I was to repower my 228 I would go for a Merc V8 300 hp.

LouisR
Looks like you are in Sydney, I can see the Anzac bridge in the background . Good to see another GW in Sydney. When I got my first 228 some 10 years ago it was very rare to see a GW in Sydney, these days I see them every time I go out .
Good luck with the engines , excellent choice ( personal opinion) they should give you many trouble free hours. I'll look out for you, it will be easy to spot you with the black engines on the transom.
Sure WRX. I have had this boat for 10 years here in Sydney now, and had a good run from the Yamaha 200HP HPDIs until one failed. It was a US import back in 2008.
Maybe I will see you out at Brown's Mountain some time! Cheers.

roberto128

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
when you repowered your Sailfish 282 with mercury V8 250 which motor Length you have selected ? the motor stil "touch" the water as with the old yamaha 250 ?

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So to continue this thread , I have 2006 with 250’s, this winter I am thinking of repower if to dual 300’s Suzuki vs Yahmma, also will replace all the hoses in the hull

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
when you repowered your Sailfish 282 with mercury V8 250 which motor Length you have selected ? the motor stil "touch" the water as with the old yamaha 250 ?
Roberto the 'touch' on the water is the same as with the Yam HPDIs. The performance all around is so much better and the handling and balance of the boat seems so much better perhaps because it always felt under powered previously with the 200HP engines. The leg length is the same as the old Yams, but I can't confirm the length because it is not written on my receipts. Fuel consumption is much improved, especially when trolling.

Reactions: roberto128

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So to continue this thread , I have 2006 with 250’s, this winter I am thinking of repower if to dual 300’s Suzuki vs Yahmma, also will replace all the hoses in the hull
I was going to do the same but found all my hoses were in excellent condition, no doubt GW installs top quality gear.
Check that your 2006 boat is rated for 600HP otherwise you will have insurance and safety risks. My 2002 was rated for 500HP Max, earlier models were rated at 400HP Max. The staff at GW were very helpful when I was figuring all of this out.

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was going to do the same but found all my hoses were in excellent condition, no doubt GW installs top quality gear.
Check that your 2006 boat is rated for 600HP otherwise you will have insurance and safety risks. My 2002 was rated for 500HP Max, earlier models were rated at 400HP Max. The staff at GW were very helpful when I was figuring all of this out.

I confirmed I can do 600hp, has anyone done this with Suzuki?

roberto128

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Roberto the 'touch' on the water is the same as with the Yam HPDIs. The performance all around is so much better and the handling and balance of the boat seems so much better perhaps because it always felt under powered previously with the 200HP engines. The leg length is the same as the old Yams, but I can't confirm the length because it is not written on my receipts. Fuel consumption is much improved, especially when trolling.

roberto128

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
LuoisR thanks for your feedback . I will re-power with the new Mercury V8 250 - will post the pictures when ready.

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Awesome. I can see that your scuppers sit well above the water line, which on my earlier model boat has never been the case. I have only heard positive feedback about the latest Suzukis. Nice that your transom is rated for 600HP, mine goes like a hot rod with 500HP so your must go like a rocket!

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Awesome. I can see that your scuppers sit well above the water line, which on my earlier model boat has never been the case. I have only heard positive feedback about the latest Suzukis. Nice that your transom is rated for 600HP, mine goes like a hot rod with 500HP so your must go like a rocket!
yes, the boat definitely runs faster. Runs great at cruise and does as well or better on fuel. I cruise at 34-35 mph @4200 rpm.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They look awesome, I want to get the white as well. Few questions 1) are you happy with the choice? 2) did you reseal the transom with motors off? 3) what is top speed and fuel burn?
We are very happy with our choice. Yes, we pulled the aluminum angle, resealed and replaced it. We have hit 52 mph with engines trimmed up 75%. I normally run with a trim at 50% or slightly higher. Typically at cruise, depending on water conditions, we will get 1.6 to 1.7 mpg. I think at wide open, it was just around 1 mpg, maybe just a bit less. Overall they are better on fuel than our old Yammie 250's with faster cruise speeds.