Repower of 282 Sailfish

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's a couple of pics from our last run in from the stream....zoom in on gages. Running 35 mph in a following sea. burning 1.6 gpm. zuke gages.jpgzukes running.jpgYes, I did dodge that storm.

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We are very happy with our choice. Yes, we pulled the aluminum angle, resealed and replaced it. We have hit 52 mph with engines trimmed up 75%. I normally run with a trim at 50% or slightly higher. Typically at cruise, depending on water conditions, we will get 1.6 to 1.7 mpg. I think at wide open, it was just around 1 mpg, maybe just a bit less. Overall they are better on fuel than our old Yammie 250's with faster cruise speeds.
I am replacing 2006 Yamahas , you just sold me on my final decision, both for fuel economy and speed. Did you throw auto pilot in ? I am planning to replaces all the hoses while they are in there

Reactions: Zebulon

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We just used our existing auto pilot. boat definitely rides a bit higher at the stern and just wants to go fast. ;) if you want to cruise at a lower speed, you will need to trim down.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats on the new engines! I may be a bit biased as a Mercury mechanic but the new engines are amazing, the torque is unbelievable! They have been very reliable so far and I haven't had a single complaint from our customers since they hit our dealer. And just to set the record the new Merc engines ARE still considered Verados if you get them with the Advanced Mid Section (AMS). They are a completely all new clean sheet design but Mercury did keep the Verado name for the top tear digital throttle and shift engines with AMS. They offer the same engines with a standard midsection and cable controls but are not calling them Verados.

Reactions: Zebulon

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great info guys, any of you mind sharing the price for your refit? Engines, labor ? If not, I understand.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
as a mechanic, hanging these on back of a 282, what would your preference be? advanced mid section or standard midsection ?
Thanks
Congrats on the new engines! I may be a bit biased as a Mercury mechanic but the new engines are amazing, the torque is unbelievable! They have been very reliable so far and I haven't had a single complaint from our customers since they hit our dealer. And just to set the record the new Merc engines ARE still considered Verados if you get them with the Advanced Mid Section (AMS). They are a completely all new clean sheet design but Mercury did keep the Verado name for the top tear digital throttle and shift engines with AMS. They offer the same engines with a standard midsection and cable controls but are not calling them Verados.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
as a mechanic, hanging these on back of a 282, what would your preference be? advanced mid section or standard midsection ?
Thanks

Advanced Mid Section, there's no cables to run, you get power steering and in general you can integrate whole package better since you will have the digital helm. People get nervous about all the wiring and modules but overall they have been very reliable. The only real problem point has been the power steering pump but Mercury released an all new pump about a year ago and it seems to have fixed the problems.