Repower - opinions

PMCbear04

Reaction score
Ok folks. I'm slightly torn here. Here's my 'dilemma'
Looking to repower a '99 Fisherman 222
Currently has '99 Yamaha OX66 250 (still runs)
Looking at '07 Yamaha F225 (full corrosion inspection, service, and replacement where needed)
Am I going to lose too much performance? Or will it even be noticeable?
All input, opinions, and personal experiences welcome!
Thanks
BB
Pensacola, FL

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are adding another 100+ lbs and the F225 was not Yamaha's strongest motor.

Is there an issue with the existing 250 OX? Those were good motors...

PMCbear04

Reaction score
Basically I'm looking at buying a newer Fisherman 222, so it would be an upgrade in hull/wiring/etc condition, as well as a trailer upgrade plus a few more accessories that come on the newer boat. This newer Fisherman 222 I have my eye on is being sold without a motor. I'm looking at a used Yam f225 motor, so essentially it's the same size and weight boat I have now - why I described it as a repower job. Trying to see how different it would feel with the newer and slightly smaller motor. I'd like to stop putting oil in the boat as well as chasing wires and electrical gremlins.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
How many hours in the 250 yam? I'd be interested if you decide to repower your current boat.

PMCbear04

Reaction score
jbrinch88 said:
How many hours in the 250 yam? I'd be interested if you decide to repower your current boat.

Thanks for your interest. No hours meter and never had diagnostics hooked up to it but would be happy to look into that for you if I move forward and you are still interested. It runs very smooth and sees service annually. I'd be curious to know how much action it's seen over the course of it's life.

ddog

Reaction score
So the newer 222 plus the cost of the used 4 stroke outboard plus rigging is cheaper than finding one already rigged as a package?
You are going from a boat and engine without a warranty to another boat and engine without a warranty, albeit newer. I would rig your OX66 to the newer boat if you know the motor and it's reliable. That makes the most sense IMO. Then Sell your boat without the engine, bank the dough. Not sure a used four stroke is going to be more reliable than a used two stroke. Someone removed that four stroke for a reason.