Repower options for 1994 Sailfish 252G

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bought this boat 2 years ago for a great deal, knowing the original OX66 200s were approaching end of life and that the boat needed some cosmetic stuff. I got a screaming deal so after an acceptable survey brought her home. 200 mostly trouble-free hours later, I blew a powerhead last weekend.

Aside from the cloud of smoke when starting at the dock, I loved the 2 strokes. I think the Evinrude G2 technology is so cool and I know they are torque monsters. That being said, after doing some preliminary shopping, I'm not sure I can justify the price difference between them and the Suzuki df200ap with drive by wire throttle. Suzuki has a great reputation as well but I just have some concerns about throwing a pair of inline 4s behind that big beast. I'm not set on either of those 2 options but they are my starting point.

For some background, the boat has the full transom and full swim platform. She's trailered in Southeast Florida and has been used thus far for fishing offshore and cruising the intercoastal. If I wanted a speed boat, I wouldn't have bought a Sailfish so not super worried about top speed.

I know I'm opening up a can of worms with the age old engine debate but any and all help with my application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't like getting into the "brand" wars of which engine manufacturer is best as I think they all have their merits and it comes down what YOU think works best for you, based on features vs costs. BUT... to throw a little wrench into the mix... what about getting the powerhead rebuilt or just buying one already rebuilt? I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K to $4K would get that done. If you go this route, find out the reason for why it blew... usually either the oil injection system failed or lack of fuel. Down in your neck of the woods, there must be plenty of rebuilders - and certainly the OX66 200HP is a common engine so it should be pretty easy to find something to work.

Reactions: Dphill3838

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't like getting into the "brand" wars of which engine manufacturer is best as I think they all have their merits and it comes down what YOU think works best for you, based on features vs costs. BUT... to throw a little wrench into the mix... what about getting the powerhead rebuilt or just buying one already rebuilt? I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K to $4K would get that done. If you go this route, find out the reason for why it blew... usually either the oil injection system failed or lack of fuel. Down in your neck of the woods, there must be plenty of rebuilders - and certainly the OX66 200HP is a common engine so it should be pretty easy to find something to work.

That's a great point and honestly where I my mind went as soon as I got the call from the mechanic that it was bad and that he wanted me to swing by to check it out. These are 24 years old and only under my care for the past 2 years. I'm meticulous about care and maintenance but it was immediately obvious the previous owners (2) were not. When I saw the corrosion on the inside, I immediately knew that to do it right I would need to either repower or replace the powerheads on both and that just seemed like throwing good money after bad.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd try to match the weight and power to the degree you can. I'd look for local service, price, compatibility (weight, HP, controls etc) in that order.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put the twin Suzuki 200 AP on my 89 sailfish 252G. So far very happy. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, or PM me if you'd like to chat.About 45 mph wide open, burns about 2.3 gph cruising around 33 mph. decent hole shot and still plenty of acceleration from 33 to wide open. Nothing beats new motors for peace of mind. I know exactly how they have been ran and maintained.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I put the twin Suzuki 200 AP on my 89 sailfish 252G. So far very happy. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, or PM me if you'd like to chat.About 45 mph wide open, burns about 2.3 gph cruising around 33 mph. decent hole shot and still plenty of acceleration from 33 to wide open. Nothing beats new motors for peace of mind. I know exactly how they have been ran and maintained.

Those are some pretty good numbers. Thinking of doing the same to replace the OX66 225s on my 265. I'm sure I won't get as good due to weight but I think I could get away with 200s since the 265s were sold with 200 HPDI's.
The 18 yr old OX66s run great but they suck gas and it would be great to unload them while I can get something for them. They aren't getting any younger...

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

dstarok, thanks so much for that info! Those are the exact engines I'm looking at with the fly by wire throttle. What props are you using? How many of the suzuki multi function gauges did you go with? Thanks again for the response, this is a nerve wracking process!!

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

It would be great if you would either dm or post here an image of your controls so I can see how you laid it out. Thanks again!

SeaVee

Reaction score
Those new V-6 Mercs look like a great repower option @ 505 lbs each. Hear great things about them, but the lead time for repowers is crazy, almost a year right now

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’m not able to attach pictures- says the file is too large. If you message me an email address I’ll send some. There was a shortage of these motors, I think they’re really selling - I’m seeing more and more of them on trailered boats here. I have read a few posts about shortage of repair parts if they are needed. I’ve only put about 80 hours on mine in 4 months, we’ll see how all these motors last in the long haul.
The fly by wire is really nice. Synchronized rpms is great. I have 2 c-10 gauges so I can see a lot of data at once.
Outboard specialties did a great job with the installation and gauge panel.
I replaced 2 - 150 hpdi’s, which we’re giving me about 40 mph, and cruise at 33 at about 1.6-1.75 MPG. The 200 Suzuki’s give about 45 wide open, and cruise at 33 at about 2.25 MPG. So it’s really a major increase in fuel economy which translates to about 30% increase in range.
I’m running Suzuki 3x16x20 props.
Boat weighs 8,200 with motors on and 200 gallons of fuel onboard.

Last edited:

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m not able to attach pictures- says the file is too large. If you message me an email address I’ll send some. There was a shortage of these motors, I think they’re really selling - I’m seeing more and more of them on trailered boats here. I have read a few posts about shortage of repair parts if they are needed. I’ve only put about 80 hours on mine in 4 months, we’ll see how all these motors last in the long haul.
The fly by wire is really nice. Synchronized rpms is great. I have 2 c-10 gauges so I can see a lot of data at once.
Outboard specialties did a great job with the installation and gauge panel.
I replaced 2 - 150 hpdi’s, which we’re giving me about 40 mph, and cruise at 33 at about 1.6-1.75 MPG. The 200 Suzuki’s give about 45 wide open, and cruise at 33 at about 2.25 MPG. So it’s really a major increase in fuel economy which translates to about 30% increase in range.
I’m running Suzuki 3x16x20 props.
Boat weighs 8,200 with motors on and 200 gallons of fuel onboard.

Thanks for all the great info. Sales guy quoted me on three c-10 gauges so I could have 1 each for the tach and 1 for fuel mgmt, similar to what I had with the digital yammy gauges which are coming out. I sent you a pm with my email for the pics, thanks again

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
I have recently repowered with Suzuki Df200A twins on Grady trophy Pro 25 with a new full flotation bracket. I have had some trouble with props. I am running now four blade 15 1/4 x 22P. And I don’t feel like I’m getting great fuel Econ. Any suggestions as far as where to go with props?

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have recently repowered with Suzuki Df200A twins on Grady trophy Pro 25 with a new full flotation bracket. I have had some trouble with props. I am running now four blade 15 1/4 x 22P. And I don’t feel like I’m getting great fuel Econ. Any suggestions as far as where to go with props?

Above Dstarok said that he's running Suzuki 3x16x20 props on his Sailfish and getting pretty impressive fuel economy

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jordan, what kind of numbers are you getting with those props?

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
With the props I currently had. Not good. But I’m exchanging them for 3x16x20. Which should be the ticket. Engines are great. Just make sure you get a good installer. That’s where I went wrong

Dphill3838

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dropped the boat off yesterday at Nick's Creative Marine in Riviera Beach for twin Suzuki DF200AP. Excited is an understatement!

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Got the 3x16x20 props. Boat is doing much better. About 1.8 around 4000 rpm.
Haven’t put the hydrofoil fins on the back to help get up on plane though.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jordan. These are numbers I have.
4625 RPM
33.2 MPH
2.19 MPG
I would think you would be more in that area, unless you’re carrying a lot of weight. Is your hull clean?

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
I need to calibrate fuel sensors to get more accurate information. I have my motors on a floatation bracket. And I do have 45 gallon center cockpit baittank.