Repower or sell?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
but with 93 oct pushing $4.50 ..

Why are you using 93 octane? Replace the lower units and don't look back ... :wink:

clevtrev

Reaction score
I would be sceptical that the 175 Zukes could push your Trophy pro, they are, after all, just 4 cylindr motors with a lot lower torque than your 88 200's, which are essentially the same mechanically as the 200 HPDI's.
Now, the newer motors have much improved fuel delivery and electrical systems, but they ain't really a whole lot different mechanically than today's 2S 200's.

150 Yamaha 4S motors are also 4 cylinder motors.

The boat will NOT take 6 cyl 4S motors. Too heavy, your scuppers will be under water.

I have a 1987 Trophy pro & a couple of years ago I went thru the same thought process as you. I ended up buying a pair of '99 carbed motors, for their simplicity. I replaced one of the powerheads with a factory new unit from boats.net for $4K. (they will sell you a new lower unit for about 2K) I have a decent looking rig now & my confidence in it's reliability is increased dramatically. I also don't have $40K in the boat, and no debt!

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Greg - thanks for the link, i hope i can find a deal like that this winter..

Curm - i use the 93 because the quality of 1988 89 octane was much better than it is now, its about equal to the 93 of today. and the engines seem to like it better.

clev - repowering with late model 200hp 2s seems to be the best option, i like the simplicity of the 2s as well. i know it wont take the new 4s cause of the weight that was never an option.

so that seems to settle it i hope gas doesnt get much higher. i will try to repower with late model 200hp 2s. with the money ive put into the boat i can stand to see me sell it for less than 12000 witch is what i paid for it in 10/06. im sure i can find a deal on some 2 strokes some body replaced for some 4 strokes.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt. K, you will see many times used boats for sale ads that read, new powerhead zero hours. So many times. This is the same thinking with old cars, get it fixed and sell it before something else go wrong.

If you spend any more than you have to to fix it, each dollar is going into the pocket of the new owner. Newer motors will not get you more money to speak of. Working motors of any vintage is all that matters on a 20 yr old boat. If you spend 7K on a newer pair, vs. 1.5K for a rebuilt lower unit, the sell price will hardly $$ matter to anyone. And there is no warranty - that would have a value.

I decided to replace the engine on a 150K mile old Nissan Z, paid $4K for rebuild, car was only worth about the same at the time, bad move one would say, but I intended to keep the car and nothing else was wrong including original auto trans. I drove the car with the motor & same trans to 1/4 million miles. Bad investment? Just the opposite - the best money I ever spent since I drove 100K more for only $4K. Only because I drove the value out of it. If I sold the car, all of it down the hole.

You sound like you want to sell it, obvious not firm in keeping it. Until you have the plan firm, can't really make a financial decision. I presume money doesn't grow on the trees in your backyard, mine neither.

bulldog2

Reaction score
There is a pair of optis on the for sale board that would be nice on your rig.Good Luck-Pat L