Repower Question for a 1986 24 Offshore

lofster

Reaction score
I am looking to repower my 24 Offshore. After talking to a Grady Dealer locally, they mentioned that with the open transom and the scuppers close to the water line, they do not recommend going to a 4-stroke on this design. Once they moved the fuel tanks up on the boats a few years later, they said it could take the added weight. I run a 1997 Mercury 225 now. He also said to stand on the transom and see if the scuppers go under water. I am about 225 lbs and it did not.

Advice from folks who have repowered their offshore to a 4-stroke would be great or any other thoughts.

Thanks

Fishon02

Reaction score
I repowered my 1986 Offshore 240 (cut-out transom) back in 2005 with a F225. I had the 93 gallon tank in the forward compartment and the 55 gallon tank all the way forward in the aft compartment and my scuppers were above the waterline "most" of the time. Send me an email if you need detailed help. I sold her back in 2007 or I would take some pictures for you.
John

fishingstories

Reaction score
fishon did moving the 93 gall tank to the forward compartment make the boat run better?

lofster, i have a offshore with a full transom and a 36 inch bracket with a 97 john 225. just return from a offshore trip and we were loaded down with 1000 lbs + and the boat sat low, but i used the trim tab to help get on plane quicker. I think a few pounds more than a 2stroke isnt gonna hurt. also, what gph and mpg are you currently getting?

lofster

Reaction score
Not sure on GPH, but I also had about the same weight this weekend and the engine, once it got going ran at about 30 mph. I saw a guy with the same hull who repowered to a suzuki 200 4 stroke, no problem with the weight, but not enough power for our hull.

fishingstories

Reaction score
i wonder if moving the tank to the front compartment will help with anything? anyone?

Bill_N

Reaction score
There's a guy in my marina with an Offshore 24 that has an F225 on the back. Doesn't seem to sit that low to me looking at it.

fishingstories

Reaction score
I think a solid transom can hold it. I am looking to upgrade to twins one day. That's gonna be some weight

Fishon02

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. My 93 gallon tank was forward when I bought the boat so I don't know what it would have been like aft. I had the 55 gallon tank aft.

Having the 93 gallon tank forward was standard from the factory when ordered with the 55 gallon aux

fishingstories

Reaction score
my forward compartment is empty. I think I am gonna make a winter project out of it. thanks for the response.

fishingstories

Reaction score
lofster you still there? a buddy just bought a 89 offshore with twin honda 130 i think 2002 models> the scupper was under water. we had to plug the drain hole on the deck. his scupper was about 3 inches under water when at stop. his ride was rough, we got banged up today. he got 2.2 mpg today and it was variable. my offshore with single 225 rode better. did you ever repower?