Repower question on '86 Sailfish

Propwash

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need opinions on repowering a '86 Sailfish. The boat currently has 90' 200 hp Johnsons. Considering repowering with new 175 Suzuki's, but not sure if spending that kind of money on a 25 year old boat is the right choice. I've been looking for a couple of years for used power and have come close to buying a pair of 2002 Yamaha HPDI 200's but backed off due to the hours and added expense if the motors required repairs. I've come across a pair of '99 Yamaha 200 OX 66 Saltwater Series outboards. The port motor has 608 hours and the starboard has 612 on the gauges at the helm. The port motor has some corrosion, but not too bad. The starboard is a little cleaner. The compression on the port motor is around 120/121 on 5 cylinders, but one is showing 108. The starboard is consistantly 120/121ish. The motors are being sold with the gauges and oil tanks only. The props and wiring harness stay with the boat. The price is $5,500.00 for the pair. Seller is firm on price. I realize the expense of controlls, wiring harness and props. My worries are the one cylinder reading 108. Talked to a local mechanic, and in his opinion the engines are halfway through their life expectation, and he recomends overhauling the ports motor since the boat will be used offshore. Quoted approx. $3,700.00 if it has to be done. I've heard only good things about the OX66 motors and would like some feedback. Will post a few pics of the motors a little later.

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What? no one wants to answer you?

I will.

If repowering new, you are talking $30K, if the boat is ok, then new motors equal new boat!
5 yr warranty, just make sure you have dealer around for the Suzies, in case something is needed. On Long Island, no problem with any brand.

But you must keep them many years to pay off, as I'm doing.
The payoff is reliability and fuel savings. If you decide to sell soon, you will be giving the next owner a gift of new motors at more than 50% off. With such a short season up here, a mid season serious breakdown may mean many weeks lost or end of season sooner. So reliabilty means more than coming back from sea on one motor at 12 mph.

When it comes to used motors, and watching the budget - don't do powerheads, get two working motors and install them, then find a 3rd working motor and use as spare motor or spare parts. Keep it in garage. That's the most economical choice to go with, like how guys with old cars buy a parts car. The price for the two used motors is little compared to new ones, yet wil get you to fishing grounds as new motors.
Then if you breakdown, entire motor can be changed in a few hours, no parts to order and any mechanic can change out a motor; 4 bolts and little more.

Good luck.

Desperado

Reaction score
BobP is correct. I have a spare 200 HPDI. It keeps me on the water. I had a trim switch go out during vacation and just pulled one off of the spare motor and kept going while I waited on the new one to be delivered. You can find working spares relativley inexpensive if you are patient.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Moat people forget whneteh motors are running good, the spare motor plan and end up taking a big hit when something goes bad since they are forced shotgun wedding style, even a lower unit or mid section can set one back $2-3 K.
Just have to take time to find one, no rush but it needs to be done.

Or have your sister marry a marine mechanic!

gw204

Reaction score
108 psi is a 10% difference from the 120 avg. you are seeing. That's right on the border of acceptable variation. If the motors are still running, ask the current owner to do a shock decarb and then recheck the compression.

Also, were those compression numbers hot or cold?