repower question

exudedude

Reaction score
My 1990 vx has taken a dive. The stator went out and we think it also shorted out the brain... I'm not happy about putting any more money in a engine with 1800+ hrs. Anyway I have been calling around and the best deals I can get now are on a pair of 150 Optimax or a single 300 Etec. My question is on my 1990 Gulfstream, I have the dropped transom. Will it handle the extra weight of a set of 150's?

I'd rather have the twins but with cables, gauges and install I'm pretty much at my budget

Workdog

Reaction score
So you have a 230 Gulfstream with cutout transom? That's what I got and twins are no problem. Reference my sig block. You can save yourself a lot of money by installing the engines yourself. That's what I did (motors were two years old). It would help pay for your extra controls. After I hung the motors, I took it to a shop to have them run computer diagnostics and purge air from the oilers.

Edit: My boat already had the holes drilled for the motors since I replaced twin 175s.

exudedude

Reaction score
Would a pair of 115's be to light for this boat? Just looking at all options here. Either Yam or Merc.

Thanks

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
stator does not fry CDI boxes

Bad grounds do

I bet you have an e-z fix that the tech did not see

3rd Day

Reaction score
I'd say a pair of 115's would be marginal power at best and if the sea state gets snotty the extra power would be worth the cost difference. As a general rule, stay as close to the rated HP as possible for best overall performance. I've had boats in the past that were under the rated HP and it can make for a hairy ride home. Just my .02 cents.