Repower Revisited.. 86 22' Seafarer + 175 Suzuski 4 Stroke

Diver012

Reaction score
I posed something a while ago regarding repowering an 86 22 SeaFarer. We were originally looking for a used motor, but after the experience we had with the current motor (2000 225 Ram Fich), my father and I really want something with some kind of warrenty.

Finding a used motor with any kind of warrenty is nearly impossible. We visited a dealer that is offering a 175 Suzuski 4 stroke installed with new controls for 14,000.

He says the weight between the 2 motors are the same, and the reduced power shouldnt be an issue.

was hoping to get some feedback on this setup from some experts.. :)

Thanks!

HaleNalu

Reaction score
The Suzi's are great motors. A number of people in the NW have them and there has been very little issues.

One thing that has been noted is that they don't seem to produce the HP that they are rated at. I've heard the 175 may be more like a 167. Kind of like the Yami 225 only producing 212-215hp.

Depends on what you are using the boat for, but it may be a little light on the power band.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, 175 is a little light for that boat. I also read about some warranty problems with Susukis over on "The Hull Truth" forum. If I were you, I would go there and do a "susuki warranty" search, and see what pops up. I do not know any details, but did hear a few owners complaining pretty strong about lack of service and very hard to get parts.
I've owned several mid-80s Seafares, and with a 200-225, they are perfect. I just pulled a nice 200 Johnson (sold already) off my current Seafarer, and installed twin 115 Tohatsus.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
... and the reduced power shouldnt be an issue.

I'd start by asking for a referral to someone who has actually installed said motor on said or similar hull. If he can't, I'd be really suspect of what is factual and what is opinion.

I wouldn't use THT as the great delineator of what is good and what is evil, either. There aren't many dealers carrying a significant inventory of parts these days, and Suzuki dealers are no different. If you're comfortable with the dealer, then don't be afraid to do business with him (should you decide on this motor).

An '86 Seafarer is a heavy hull that would be easy to under-power. If you felt OK with the 200 Ficht, I wouldn't go any lower with a four stroke, and wouldn't be afraid to go 225/250, either. I have a 225 Honda on an '86 T-22, and at most it's 'comfortable' power ... :wink:

exudedude

Reaction score
That Suzuki is a great motor, just not for your boat. Also is that a current model or a leftover, because that price is the same I am getting quoted for a new 2008 Etec 300 or a 2008 new 250 Optimax.
What part of the country you in?

Diver012

Reaction score
Im not sure if the Suzuki is current of a leftover... I assume it is a new motor, but I do not know what year..

I have started looking at the Mercury Verado 200 4 Stroke 4 cyl. It weighs the same as the Ram Fich we have now, and comes with a 5 year warrenty.

Bass Pro has a sale on them right now and I can pick one up from them turn key for $14,000.00

Not sure if thats the direction we will go or not... so far it appears to be the best option ive seen. There are just no used motors with warrenties on them...

exudedude

Reaction score
It's not always about the best deal... you don't wanna buy brand x when the closest shop is 100 miles away. All of the newer model engines whether 2 or 4 stroke are pretty much bulletproof.. just find a mechanic and a brand you are comfortable with and work your best deal from there.

I have had my best deals here in Fla. buying pretty much 2 yrs behind the model year and buying counter rotation.

Diver012

Reaction score
Re: Repower Revisited.. 86 22' Seafarer + 175 Suzuski 4 Str

Just wanted to update this.. a lot has changed after a long time doing research and some fact finding.. we have ruled out the 175 suzuski. We considered a Yamaha 4 stroke but I think that added weight is to much for the 89 Sea Farer. We have narrowed the search down to a Verado 200. Weighs about the same as the Ram Ficht 225 we have now... Bass Pro gave us the best price so far and they are local which is nice... The have a Full 5 year warrenty starting oct 31st.

Any thoughts or concerns about the Verado 200 on a 22' 89 Sea Farer?

Diver012

Reaction score

Just a side note, we contacted a local yamaha dealer and asked for his recommendation and he came back with a Yamaha 4 stroke 250 for 24,000.00 A tad steep imho.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I you want to keep it light and bulletproof, go with an Optimax 225, great motor and "made for your boat" and everybody can fix a 2 stroker Mercury.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I you want to keep it light and bulletproof, go with an Optimax 225, great motor and "made for your boat" and everybody can fix a 2 stroker Mercury.

Whatever you do DON'T buy a 2S. While the Opti is the best choice of the 2S's they are expensive to fix and have terrible resale. I think the Verado 200 is an excellent choice and you'll be surprised how much you're going to enjoy your old boat - it'll feel like you bought a new one.

Diver012

Reaction score

Thanks for everyones input on this. it has helped more than I can tell you. Right now we a Mercury Dealer narrowed down between 2 dealers.. Bass Pro, and Holden Beach Marina...

Ill let you know how it all turns out.