repower time

Ausstu

Reaction score
Hi, just about to pull the trigger on a Honda BF200 4 stroke for the 208 adventure I have (2001 model) I hear talk of needing to put a bit of extra ballast up there front to accommodate for the extra weight of the 4 stroke?
The old engine was the 2 stroke ox 66 which is about 50kg lighter than the Honda, how much would you put in and where do you put it?

Cheers

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I repowered my Boston Whaler 20 Dauntless (1996 so designed for a lightweight 2 stroke) a couple of years ago. I looked at 4 strokes, but decided they were too heavy, and I ended up going with an Evinrude ETEC at 418 pounds. (I also have a new-to-me 330 Express which is being repowered with Yamaha F250 Offshores)

I have to say I love the ETEC. It still requires 2-stroke oil which is slightly annoying compared to the 4-strokes, but it's as quiet as a 4-stroke and there's almost no oil smell at all. I've run it 3 seasons and it's been flawless.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Did you consider a Yamaha f200 4 cyl, similar weight to the ox66 & linkages should be the same saving the cost of new controls

Ausstu

Reaction score
yup looked at the Yamaha and Suzuki, local dealer wanted 26K for the Yamaha 200, Suzuki was 24K and the Honda is 20K so I will put up with the 50kg extra weight for 4-6 thousand dollars, whilst the newer technology of the inline 4/4 stroke of the Yamaha and Suzuki appeal, I cant knock back the difference in cost, all the hire companies and commercial guys over here seem to like the Honda's as well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check with GW customer service, hopefully they can assist with the ask. I think the Honda's are great as well. A bit more weight has always been the knock, but folks that I know that have them rave about the performance and reliability. Good luck with the choice...

L.R.

Reaction score
Ausstu said:
yup looked at the Yamaha and Suzuki, local dealer wanted 26K for the Yamaha 200, Suzuki was 24K and the Honda is 20K so I will put up with the 50kg extra weight for 4-6 thousand dollars, whilst the newer technology of the inline 4/4 stroke of the Yamaha and Suzuki appeal, I cant knock back the difference in cost, all the hire companies and commercial guys over here seem to like the Honda's as well.
Prices sound awful High to me...

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Those prices do sound high

Have the 2003 F200 on my Overnighter, tabs got to have tabs - your gonna love any 200 you get.

seasick

Reaction score
Grady added about 200 pounds to the dry weight of the hull when the 4s became standard. The weight appears to be forward and as a start, I would put some ballast in the forward locker under the cabin cushions just behind the anchor rode locker. Note that that locker can get wet and whatever you put in there can bounce around if not tied down. 200 pounds is also a good amount of weight and plain sand may not weigh enough. Note also that if you use sand in bags, and if you have freezing winters, the sand will freeze and probably will crack the sack it is in. In the spring, when the sand thaws it will leak all over the place and since that locker has a drain tube, you could get sand into the tubes and bilge I believe the factory has hidden lead ballast somewhere under or next to that locker. That said, I personally would go for the 4 cyl motor for its weight but also for the performance increase you will experience over the heavier 6cyl. Adding 200 pounds of ballast is like carrying another relatively large passenger.
Good luck with your repower.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I assume you are speaking of Australian dollars. Yamaha quotes US$20,600 as their suggested retail for the F200 4 cylinder. Discounted maybe to 18K plus rigging.

Ausstu

Reaction score
Hi all,

yes it is AU dollars, have opted to go with the Honda which has been a pretty good deal with the rigging and gauges at the price stated, gets fitted up this week, when I bought the boat the dollar was at parity with the US $ so made a good saving even with import costs, I have plenty of lead sheet that I was thinking of using to put up front to add weight if necessary.
main reason I went with the 4 stroke was to get rid of the oil tank to enable me some more storage in the boat - using one of the under deck wells as storage so only have 1 bait tank/kill tank, be good to put the bait tank at the rear of the boat.

cheers for the advice folks

seasick

Reaction score
Ausstu said:
Hi all,

yes it is AU dollars, have opted to go with the Honda which has been a pretty good deal with the rigging and gauges at the price stated, gets fitted up this week, when I bought the boat the dollar was at parity with the US $ so made a good saving even with import costs, I have plenty of lead sheet that I was thinking of using to put up front to add weight if necessary.
main reason I went with the 4 stroke was to get rid of the oil tank to enable me some more storage in the boat - using one of the under deck wells as storage so only have 1 bait tank/kill tank, be good to put the bait tank at the rear of the boat.

cheers for the advice folks
Great.
Enjoy!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Tom, was curious on how the Etec's are doing? Maybe I missed a post somewhere, but this is the last one I could find since last year. How many hours? Any issues and are you still happy with them?