Repower

Dcernst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1985 22' Seafarer with a 1997 Yamaha 250hp OX66. I am thinking of replacing with a new Yamaha 200 stroke. Would it be worth the cost or just look for a newer boat?

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Depends on the condition of the hull and if it fits your needs. It is not the seav2 hull which I believe rides better. You also have to check the transom, the electrical wiring, the rigging and your budget. If you like the boat, is in good shape and is safe, i would repower it. I have had boats from the 60's that are in better shape than amany that are just 10 years old. One of my favorite boats is a 1992-1995 seafarer 228.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
question, does the boat have a hard top? Where do you boat and how do you use the boat? meaning fishing, cruising, water sports, sand bar etc and with how many people. These will all determine if 200 is enough. it might be fine knowing those variables will help folks give you better input .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't think you will like going down 50 hp and a four-stroke. The torque and extra horses of the 2 stroke will be noticeable.

Dcernst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use the boat for fishing, cruising in back creeks and in the Chesapeake bay

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Different boat but I repowered my 1988 24 offshore from a 225 etec to a new 300 4.2 Yamaha. I would say my whole shot may only be slightly better if at all than the etec even though it's a 75hp increase. WOT and cruising speed was a big difference though.

It is a pricey decision for sure. I chose to repower mine at the time because I had out so much sweat equity into the boat and it really did everything for me. Is it the best riding boat, absolutely not but it does everything well. This was also a couple years before I bought my house so I figured if i didn't do it then I probably wouldn't have another opportunity for awhile. No regrets so far the boat performs great and it's nice to know you have a new heart back there when you're offshore.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those older hulls don't have as much wetter surface area as the SV2 models and don't require as much hp to keep them firmly on plane. Most came with 175-200 hp back in the day. Mine had a 200 hp 2.6 L Merc and would run at just over 40 mph at WOT with 3 people on board. As long as you won't be making long runs offshore you will appreciate the lower noise and greater fuel economy.

That being said, the 200 hp 2.8 L Yamaha inline 4 stroke has a lot less torque than my old Merc. So time to get on plane and operation with a heavy load will not be as good. You'll miss the power of that 250 hp OX66. And unless your 35 year old boat has had some restoration done that will help it retain some value, the economics of repowering is questionable.